Cannot Boot into Linux

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mchar7

Cannot Boot into Linux

Post by Mchar7 »

Note: This is not exclusive to my Mint 18.3 install. In a Debian VM on a completely
separate machine I did the same thing (apt upgrade) and am receiving the same errors)

So, after running

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
my system fails to boot. Upon leaving the GRUB menu, I am put into an initramfs terminal (see pictures)

Oh, my Mint install has LUKS encryption, but I doubt this is the problem as my Debian VM did not.

I had expected this to be a common issue as it happened to me twice under 2 completely different
circumstances, but I cant seem to find any recent relevant threads here or on the Ubuntu forums.

You can see the sequence that the computer goes through with these images:

GRUB does sees the install fine...:

Startup procedure stops at "scanning for Btrfs filesystems":

After ~30s:

Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
- Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
- Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
- Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
- Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; Is /deu)

ALERT! /dev/mapper/mint--vg-root does not exist. Dropping to a shell! 
BusyBox v1.22.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.22.0-15ubuntul) built-in shell (ash) Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands. 
(initramfs) 
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Cannot Boot into Linux

Post by Laurent85 »

Boot a live session and open a terminal. Provide the following commands output:

sudo parted --list --script
sudo lsblk -o name,size,uuid,fstype,label,mountpoint
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Cannot Boot into Linux

Post by Termy »

Sounds like you're quite familiar with Linux, so I would suggest you load up another installation or a LiveCD and chroot in; see if that works and have a poke around, particularly in the logs and I'd also check /etc/fstab, because I'd expect a mess like that to occur if fstab has some sort of error.

If you need further support while chrooted in, you can run:

mount -t proc proc /proc
mount -t sysfs sysfs /sys
mount -t devtmpfs devtmpfs /dev
mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts
source /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion
That will give you bash completion and allow you to do a lot more. Note, if you're not familiar with chroot, you'll want to do a little research. You may also want to run dhclient (possibly with your your network interface) to have an Internet connection going. Don't do too much in this environment, unless you have to, as you will be running as root, and the permissions for those mounts are abnormal. Good for diagnostics though, IMO.

Oh, almost forgot, you'll likely have to decrypt things yourself, if root is encrypted; I have absolutely no clue about that, as I don't deal with encrypted data like that.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Installation & Boot”