Windows 10 and Mint 18.3 dual boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
steveis2
Level 3
Level 3

Windows 10 and Mint 18.3 dual boot

Post by steveis2 »

Hi,
I installed mint 18.3 on my PC and it worked fine. However I then installed windows 10 and now I can't boot into Linux. The Linux installation is on a disk with an MBR and windows 10 is on one that is GPT. Trying to use BCD boot manager in windows I am told windows is operating in EFI mode and so I can't add Linux to the BCD boot menu.

I 'think' if I reinstall Linux I may be able to dual boot but I'm not sure exactly how to do it or whether the GPT/MBR difference between the disks would complicate things. If I were to reinstall Linux would grub pick up windows 'automatically' or would I have to somehow configure Grub once Linux was installed in order to have a windows 10 boot option?

Any ideas very welocme.

Regards Steve
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mattyboy

Re: Windows 10 and Mint 18.3 dual boot

Post by Mattyboy »

You should always install Windows first on a dual boot then Linux. The last OS installed will take 'command' of the booting process. Installing Windows second will pretty much always break the Linux boot. Windows is selfish and stupid :D

As you've said you'll be happy to re-install Linux go ahead and do that, back up any files you may wish to keep, and just point the installer to overwrite your the current Linux install.

Once you've done that you'll need to run

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
in the Linux terminal the first time you boot after the installation, then the next time you boot your machine you should then see Windows 10 as a boot option from the grub menu.
steveis2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by steveis2 »

Hi, I just tried reinstalling mint but unfortunately it didn't work.

maybe it's to do with the fact that there are two physical disks and/or the MBR/GPT difference between them.

Regards Steve
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ steveis2, .......
steveis2 wrote:...
AFAIK, if you want to have a Grub bootloading menu for your two-drives computer, it is better to install both OS in Legacy BIOS mode using MBR disk mode. Install Win 10, then Linux Mint. You can manually install the "Device for boot loader installation" for LM on its own internal hard-drive and then configure UEFI-BIOS setup to boot first from the LM drive, ie no need to install the "Device for boot loader installation" on the Win 10 drive.

If you want to install both OS in UEFI mode using GPT disk mode, then you need to install the "Device for boot loader installation" on the Windows EFI System Partition(fat32/104MB/flagged as boot/efi or boot, esp) = usually at /sda1. Then configure the UEFI-BIOS setup to boot first from the Win 10 drive/disk.

You can also unplug one of the drives to install the OS.

P S - You could have maintained Win 10 in UEFI/GPT mode and LM in Legacy BIOS/MBR mode by booting each OS through UEFI-BIOS setup, ie not through Grub menu, eg to boot Win 10, select the Win 10 drive/disk as the 1st boot device.
steveis2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by steveis2 »

Hi, Thanks for your suggestions. I can boot into either OS by using the bios to select the appropriate disk.

I changed the 'Linux disk' from MBR to GPT and installed Mint again, but it made no difference. However I did not install 'the device for boot loader installation' onto the windows partition. If I did do that would I be able to boot Linux or windows from Grub? In windows disk manager it says there is a 'healthy' EFI system partition on the windows disk. Would I install 'the device for boot loader installation' into that EFI system partition and would it pick up both Mint and windows 10?

Thanks for your help.

Regards Steve
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ steveis2, .......
steveis2 wrote:Would I install 'the device for boot loader installation' into that EFI system partition and would it pick up both Mint and windows 10?
Yes.

But bear in mind that Win 10's forced auto-updates and upgrades(= twice per year) will often bork Grub or the system. ...

.... If I were you, I would unplug the LM internal hard-drive/disk and put it into an external USB hard-drive enclosure/casing. Then unplug the Win 10 internal hard-drive.
....... Plug in the external USB LM drive into the USB port and proceed to install LM on it in UEFI/GPT mode using the manual "Something else" method. I would need to also manually create an EFI Boot Partition at the beginning of the disk = fat32/550MB/mount point as boot/efi and select this partition(= /sda1.?) as the "Device for boot loader installation". After installation of LM is successful, unplug the external LM drive and replug the Win 10 internal drive and boot Win 10 if needed. To boot LM, just plug in the external USB hard-drive. To boot Win 10, unplug the external USB LM hard-drive.

Please refer to ... https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295 (UEFI Installing - Tips )
steveis2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by steveis2 »

Hi,
I am starting to wonder if it would be easier to install linux on the same disk as windows 10. There is plenty of space. Would I have the same problems if I did install linux alongside windows or could linux pick up windows 10 in the grub boot menu? EFI mode in windows does not seem to like other operating systems.

Regards Steve
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ steveis2, .......
steveis2 wrote:...
Like I said before, it is better and easier to do the dual install of Win 10 and LM on 2 separate internal hard-drives in Legacy BIOS/MBR mode, and keep the Windows Boot Manager and Grub bootloader separately installed also = Win 10's forced auto-updates and upgrades will not bork the system.

In your case, "There are many ways to skin a cat."

Yes, you can opt to install LM alongside Win 10 on the same internal hard-drive in UEFI/GPT mode. If you keep the 2nd internal hard-drive attached, then you need to first shrink the Win 10 partition and set aside about 100GB to 200GB for the install of LM. You need to use the manual "Something else" install method and ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the Win 10 EFI System Partition.
....... If instead, you unplug the 2nd internal hard-drive to do the install of LM alongside Win 10, you can also use the automatic "Install LM alongside Windows" method, ie no need to pre-shrink the Win 10 partition. The LM Installer will give you an option to set the size of the LM partition, subject to the maximum available free space, ie by moving the slider on the colorful Partition table. You can also use the manual "Something else" install method, but you need to first shrink the Win 10 partition accordingly. After installation has completed, re-plug the 2nd internal hard-drive.

In both the above scenarios, there will display the Grub menu during startup. If Win 10 does not boot, sudo update-grub.
steveis2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by steveis2 »

Hi,
Thanks for all your advice and the links to reading about the issue, it's very much appreciated. I will read up and have another go tomorrow. For now I'll press F12 and choose.

Regards Steve

Return to “Installation & Boot”