BitLocker always prompting

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mcarvalho

BitLocker always prompting

Post by mcarvalho »

On my ThinkPad T550, I had Windows 10 pre-installed and then I installed Linux Mint, which installed GRUB. When I first booted up, GRUB would not even load, I would get an "Access Denied" from my BIOS. After some researching, I had to disable "Secure Boot" in my BIOS, which worked!

However, now when I boot up, I select whether to boot into Linux Mint (default) or the Windows boot loader, which always prompts me to enter my BitLocker key in order to boot into Windows. Its a long key and its very inconvenient to enter every time. Unfortunately, my company's group policy forces me to use BitLocker. There has to be a more convenient option!

How can I prevent having to enter my BitLocker key every-time I boot?

I tried restoring the Windows MBR in order to make it my default boot loader instead of GRUB, basically swapping the role GRUB and the Windows MBR are setup now, but I have had no success.

Anyone figure this out?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mattyboy

Re: BitLocker always prompting

Post by Mattyboy »

Not really a Linux question as this relates to a Windows system and encryption. Entering said password is a requirement to gain access. You could try a Windows forum but 'automating' encryption keys is a bad idea, defeats the object doesn't it? You can disable, providing you have admin access, bitlocker drive encryption in Windows, but again, you're then running an unprotected system... don't think work will approve of that.

Think you'll just have to live with it.

Return to “Installation & Boot”