Post by rene » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:18 pm

First the single DIMM please :)

Frldyz
Level 2
Level 2

Re: New build. No signal to monitor

Post by Frldyz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:08 am

So here’s everything I tried yesterday :

1. Attached water cooling unit. No fix. Same issue. Constant fast beep.
2. Tried a different power supply. Used the power supply from my main computer to this motherboard. All that I connected was the 24. And the ATX 12 v connection to the motherboard. I did unplug all the peripheral connections from the PSU. So the PSU only had the two connections to motherboard . Same thing. Fans turn on light up and spin. And get constant rapid beat on the speaker.
3. Reset bios/cmos. With screwdriver to pins. Nothing . Same issue.
4. Removed battery from mobo and reset cmos again . Waited 10 min. Put battery back in. Nothing.
5. I moved and configured the 2 new RAM sticks in dif. Slots and 6 variations. Nothing.
6. I took the 2 RAM sticks from my daily computer and tried them in 6 different variations. Nothing.
7. Cpu pins look perfect and straight.

All i can think of that’s left is .
1) bad mobo. But not sure how I can confirm this.
2) bad dim slots?
3) bad cpu.

I’m stuck

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Post by rene » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:47 am

Frldyz wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:08 am
I’m stuck
Indeed you are. Given the "6 variations" of both points 5 and 6 I gather that indeed you tried with just one stick of RAM as well, and with both your new and with confirmedly working ones. If your board was extremely particular about DIMMs you'd expect a Google hit or two but I am not finding any.

DIMM slots are very unlikely. Clearly they can have broken tabs and things like that but visual inspection would quickly reveal (and they'd in fact normally remain working). A contact can be oxided but given that you tried with 1 DIMM in both slots we'd now be talking both slots -- well, if having a DIMM in the second slot only works in the first place: your MB manual does not say it doesn't which means it supposedly does. You have moreover now removed and inserted DIMMs a couple of times which is the best way to remove any such issue anyway. Still visually inspect and/or clean with a bit of alcohol I suppose, but RAM does not then appear very likely.

Beeping is (normally, but see above for uncertainty wrt. the Power Good signal on Gigabyte) software-driven; is your CPU running BIOS code that actually does the beeping. This would mean the CPU being the problem drops in likelihood.

PSU seems to have been excluded; leaves "the board", which is basically saying nothing since "the board" is basically anything. Bad caps are most likely board-wise, but are bust in an obvious "bulging" manner generally only when old. Your board being new you'd need electronics expertise to tell.

Sorry. Seems this isn't working out...

It was up to now too silly to suggest but given your emphasis on zero insertion force above: I do suppose you lock the CPU socket with the handle after zero-insertion-forcing the CPU in, right? :-/

Joe2Shoe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Joe2Shoe » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:06 am

Power capacitors can be bad, but not be bulging, etc. They can look perfectly good, but be bad. New PSU, CPU, RAM can be bad. Just because they are NEW doesn't mean they are good. Been there, done that.
Re-read the PSU and Mobo manual to make sure you have everything setup correctly. Especially power to the onboard GPU, if applicable.
Does the mobo have dip switches for CPU timing?
Try a new CMOS battery (Duracell or Energizer) on the mobo, as they usually come with cheap knock-offs that could have been sitting around for several years.
Lots of cheap PSUs do NOT provide enough power to the mobo. Most are under-powered. Always use a premium PSU.
Lots of possibilities.
I would take everything apart, then put it all back together slowly. Make sure the mobo is not shorting out on the case stands/supports.
Also, do not install a CD/DVD burner yet, as I have seen a bad unit 'cause a machine to not start.
Could be a miss-match of RAM with the mobo.
Good luck.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire

Frldyz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Frldyz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:22 am

rene wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:47 am
Frldyz wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:08 am
I’m stuck
R
It was up to now too silly to suggest but given your emphasis on zero insertion force above: I do suppose you lock the CPU socket with the handle after zero-insertion-forcing the CPU in, right? :-/

Yes the locking down arm is engaged

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Post by rene » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:24 am

Joe2Shoe wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:06 am
Especially power to the onboard GPU, if applicable.
Noticed this above as well: there is no such thing as a separate, onboard GPU these days; the GPU, in his case a Radeon R5, is integrated in the CPU.

Joe2Shoe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Joe2Shoe » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:45 am

"if applicable".
Take the mobo, put on a non-metal table, etc. Do not install anything onto the mobo, except for the CPU and a Cooling Fan. Hook up mobo to power switch on case/tower. Hook up the PSU. Hook up the monitor to the video-out on the mobo and turn the monitor ON. See if mobo turns ON. If it turns on, turn if off, then install 1 RAM DIMM. Repeat on/off, until you find the problem.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Post by rene » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:03 am

Joe2Shoe wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:45 am
"if applicable".
Certainly. In that sense please also hit the Gremlin hiding behind the PCI slot and constantly hitting the reset switch over the head a few times, if applicable.

Frldyz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Frldyz » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:35 am

....................................................... light bulb

Sitting here @ the computer this morning still scratching my head about this sitution.

I look online to see how much these RAM sticks are going for on ebay.
And I read this....
"Compatible with Intel LGA1155 and AMD Llano/AM3+ platforms
Intel XMP support for 2nd and 3rd Generation Intel Core Processors".

Could this be it? Is this the problem. Is this RAM no compatible with my FM2+ mobo?
Or if I recall when I read this when I bought my RAM I read it as..... it is also "Compatible with Intel LGA1155 and AMD Llano/AM3+ platforms
Intel XMP support for 2nd and 3rd Generation Intel Core Processors

———-
Found this on the site

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-2133c9d-8gab

QVL
Gigabyte
A88X/A78 for Socket FM2+
G1.Sniper A88X With FM2+ Processors only.
GA-F2A88X-UP4 With FM2+ Proce

Dont see my mobo listed

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Post by rene » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:02 pm

RAM compatibility was also discussed; your symptom would make it likely but your DIMMs would not. I linked to your motherboard's official DIMM support list above. Any such support list necessarily includes only a few explicitly tested DIMMs; it as such unsurprising that yours aren't listed specifically, but it does in fact include other G.Skill double-sided 4GiB 2133MHz DDR3 DIMMs. As mentioned, if your board were VERY particular I'd have expected a google hit or two regarding this but didn't find any. You have moreover tested with other DIMMs, including in single DIMM configuration. Intel XMP should just be superfluous/ignored if not supported boardwise.

Don't know specs for those other tested DIMMs of yours, so sure, testing things with yet another set of DIMMs could be useful, but if you need to buy them I would say chances of it not being the problem quickly outweigh risc. Don't you have a friendly computer-shop around that'll allow you to test your motherboard + CPU with a few different DIMMs?

BG405
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BG405 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:25 pm

You stated that you powered the machine without a cooling fan; does this actually mean without a heatsink as well? If that is the case I'm afraid you have most likely fried the CPU. With older AMD CPUs they would certainly die the instant they are powered up without a heatsink + thermal compound. There will probably be a label on the underside. Is it browned? (= cooked CPU).
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Acer D255E 2GB - Manjaro KDE, LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB305 - LM17.3 Xfce 32---------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Post by rene » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:01 pm

Fried not likely; Intel since the P4 and AMD since the Athlon 64 (early this century) have had inbuilt thermal protection. Being myself of the generation that still has an original Athlon running -- which fry themselves in seconds when the heat sink falls of -- I'm not comfortable with it either but any modern CPU will/should shut itself down before permanent damage is done (and for a mid-power CPU as his A6-7400K even that would take more than 20 seconds generally).

Return to “Installation & Boot”