Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
LMJ
Level 3
Level 3

New persistent install on USB fails to boot properly

Post by LMJ » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:34 am

I already dual boot into a Windows 7 machine, with persistent install on a USB which is running well. I decided to create another Mint cinnamon 18.3 on a different USB as a spare I can use if needed. Using the same live version of 18.3, also on a usb, with which I created the Mint 18.3 I am currently using, I attempted to install on a spare 64 Gb thumb drive. Install happened easily, I did partitioning the same way as for the thumb drive that I usually use (just different sizes, but still 30Gb for / 8Gb for swap and a separate /home partition). But the new install won't boot properly. It just gets as far as the Mint logo, then the blank screen with a blinking cursor that I usually see for a short while before a successful start up. But ithe 64Gb drive doesn't get any further than the blinking cursor page.

I have reinstalled twice with same result. The usb is a 64 Gb Sandisk fit, it's quite recent. It has been used before. Is there something I can do that might possibly fix the problem?

Thanks
Linux mint is my first experience with Linux, am escaping Windows, Dual booting Mint Cinnamon 18.3 64bit with Win 7 Home Premium .AMD E-350 Processor (2 CPUs),1.6GHz, 4096MB RAM,DirectX 11, AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics, Realtek High Definition Audio.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Re: New persistent install on USB fails to boot properly

Post by catweazel » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:44 am

LMJ wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:34 am
Is there something I can do that might possibly fix the problem?
It's possible that changes have been made to the original USB flash drive. You might try taking an image of the working flash drive then writing it to the new flash drive.

See this thread. Alternatively you can try gnome-disk-utility. Just issue this command to install it: sudo apt install gnome-disk-utility then follow the bouncing ball.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

pbear
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pbear » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:27 am

Not the question you asked, but I will point out there's a better way to accomplish your overall objective. For reasons mentioned in this thread (and others), a persistent drive isn't a good long term choice for a Linux operating system. You would be much better off doing full install to an external hard drive. More stable, more secure, fully updateable, easy to do and not expensive. Happy to post the "how to" if you're interested.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Running Mate 18.3 64 bit (by upgrade from 18.1-2)

LMJ
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LMJ » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:29 am

It's possible that changes have been made to the original USB flash drive. You might try taking an image of the working flash drive then writing it to the new flash drive.

See this thread. Alternatively you can try gnome-disk-utility. Just issue this command to install it: sudo apt install gnome-disk-utility then follow the bouncing ball.
_and if I just follow the bouncing ball...is there any chance that the drive that's working well could get damaged?

I have a Timeshift back up of my good drive, would that work if I use restore function and select the 64 bit drive, or does it only work for restoring settings etc after a fresh install?
Linux mint is my first experience with Linux, am escaping Windows, Dual booting Mint Cinnamon 18.3 64bit with Win 7 Home Premium .AMD E-350 Processor (2 CPUs),1.6GHz, 4096MB RAM,DirectX 11, AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics, Realtek High Definition Audio.

LMJ
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LMJ » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:41 am

Not the question you asked, but I will point out there's a better way to accomplish your overall objective. For reasons mentioned in this thread (and others), a persistent drive isn't a good long term choice for a Linux operating system. You would be much better off doing full install to an external hard drive. More stable, more secure, fully updateable, easy to do and not expensive.
Sometimes I don't know the right terminology to make myself clear. What is the correct way to refer to a usb that has a fully installed O S, without using half a sentence to do that? Is there a single word or two that Linux people understand? I notice on forum threads that I am not the only one confused about this, and using vocabulary that causes confusion to those trying to help.
I think you might be understanding that I was referring to a live USB with persistent Caspar file - did I even get that terminology right - but I was referring to a full install. sorry if the way I expressed it was confusing.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:46 am

LMJ wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:29 am
_and if I just follow the bouncing ball...is there any chance that the drive that's working well could get damaged?
Yes, if you mess up the dd if command, and a lot less likely with the gnome-disks-utility.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:26 am

"The USB is a 64 GB Sandisk Fit, it's quite recent."

Back in 2014-ish SanDisk made some USB drives that declared themselves as 'fixed'...

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDis ... 138/page/4

...and later changed the design so that later batches of the same model declared they were 'removable'. The SanDisk warranty excludes the use of USB stores for OS operation, so boot-ability was not something they need to care about.

"Is there something I can do that might possibly fix the problem?"

Complete power-off has helped me. My 32GB Ultra Fit occasionally gets 'stuck' while re-booting, but not from a cold-start. You might find the problem-store boots perfectly well on a different machine. If it never-ever-ever boots, well there's lots of ways that can go wrong, from any medium.

You might need to tell your BIOS that the physically-removable-USB-drive is logically a non-removable-hard-drive to get it to boot. Linux itself doesn't care, it could be knots in a piece of string and it would boot with it, eventually... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quipu ...spooky coincidence possums.

USB Installation of Mint Cinnamon 18.3 fails to boot properly looks less fluffy to me.
"Persistent" -----> "Persistent Live Session" -----> OS is still squashed in a single file -----> Persistence is an extra worth mentioning.
"Install" -----> OS has been unpacked as loose files in a partition -----> Persistent is assumed, which relegates 'Persistent Install' to the Tautological-Redundonym bucket. It's not lonely though...
'PIN number' ... 'ATM machine' ... 'HIV virus' ... and my personal favourite... Hill-hill-hill Hill in Cumbria...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpenhow_Hill
Data stored in an encrypted volume will only be accessible with the original password. Without this key, all the data will remain scrambled beyond hope of recovery.

pbear
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pbear » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:51 am

LMJ wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:41 am
Is there a single word or two that Linux people understand?
Sorry for the confusion. "Full install USB" is what I see most often, but that's not universal. OTOH, persistent almost always is used in the casper file/partition sense. More important is substance and glad to hear you're using the method better suited to what you're using it for.

As for your problem, afraid I can't add much except to mention I prefer an external hard drive for this sort of thing. Faster and holds up better in the long run.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Running Mate 18.3 64 bit (by upgrade from 18.1-2)

LMJ
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LMJ » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:11 pm

Yes, if you mess up the dd if command, and a lot less likely with the gnome-disks-utility.
Back in 2014-ish SanDisk made some USB drives that declared themselves as 'fixed'...
It's not being seen as a fixed drive, and doesn't respond to being booted after complete power down, then start up.

Thank you, both of you. As I am currently in the middle of a learning curve with the USB I usually, use, have a project I need to get on with, and this was just an idea to create a spare, I have abandoned this particular lesson for another day. I did use a spare usb to create a fresh live drive, and try installing permanent install onto 64Gb, but no luck. I remember having this trouble before after a thumb drive had already been formatted twice in the past, and nothing ever fixed it. I checked the 64Gb drive still takes music and docs, which is good.

Return to “Installation & Boot”