Added 2nd Hard Drive and want to install WIN 10 on it and Dual Boot with already installed LM on 1st drive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
OldTech
Level 1
Level 1

Added 2nd Hard Drive and want to install WIN 10 on it and Dual Boot with already installed LM on 1st drive

Post by OldTech »

I haven't worked with the hardware end for years and need some tips. I have one hard drive already installed and working with Linux Mint 18 and have added a brand new hard drive that I want to install WIN10 on and dual boot the machine with LM 18 on the primary drive and WIN 10 on the 2nd drive. I have the installation files for WIN 10 on a thumb drive.

Any tips appreciated.

Thank You!
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Added 2nd Hard Drive and want to install WIN 10 on it and Dual Boot with already installed LM on 1st drive

Post by Flemur »

My free advice is to install windows stand-alone on the new drive; I wouldn't trust the windows installer not to mess with the linux disk, so I'd disconnect it while installing windows.

Then you can select OS to boot w/BIOS (F12...select boot device), or make the linux disk be the default boot disk, run update-grub
on linux, and then windows should be on the grub menu - AND both OS's can run without the other one present.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Added 2nd Hard Drive and want to install WIN 10 on it and Dual Boot with already installed LM on 1st drive

Post by absque fenestris »

Flemur wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:21 pm
My free advice is to install windows stand-alone on the new drive; I wouldn't trust the windows installer not to mess with the linux disk, so I'd disconnect it while installing windows.

Then you can select OS to boot w/BIOS (F12...select boot device), or make the linux disk be the default boot disk, run update-grub
on linux, and then windows should be on the grub menu - AND both OS's can run without the other one present.
Thanks Flemur! Your instruction is stored and printed. If I have to flash BIOS next time... :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (MATE) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook
Linux Mint 20 Ulyana (Cinnamon) 64-bit - Huawei MateBook X Pro
OldTech
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OldTech »

Flemur wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:21 pm

Thanks. That's what I needed. I had had it that way years ago and forgot how to do it again.

Return to “Installation & Boot”