Before you post please read how to get help
brutusoftroy99
Level 1
Level 1

Mint is installed but won't boot

Post by brutusoftroy99 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:45 pm

ok so here is the story....
I bought a second hand lenovo thinkpad e130
I installed linux mint, it was about a month ago so I am pretty sure it was linux mint silvia 18.3 with the cinnamon desktop
I installed it with a partition btw, so I still have windows 10 working with about 100 GB
everything was great
then....
a couple of days ago it all stopped working
I managed to figure out that this is because the hard drive wasn't connected properly. Like...it literally wasn't screwed in and so it had just come loose, I opened up the back of the computer and it fell out.
so I plugged that back in and now I can get windows 10 back but I can't get linux
i know that linux is there because firstly windows 10 is telling me that 250 GB of data is used
secondly because i just tried to reinstall linux mint and it told me that mint is already there and asked me if i want to erase it.
so..... what do I do?
before it all failed every time i would turn the computer on it would give me a simple choice between mint and windows.
now there is no choice
i fear that i may have screwed things up entirely by messing around on the bios trying to fix the computer in different ways before i figured out it was a loose hardrive
I fear that i may have clicked to return to factory settings and that is why mint won't load for some reason.
anyway
please help
it is a strange problem.
I really don't want to loose all my passwords and data that are stored within mint and I know the information is there

thankyou.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Mint is installed but won't boot

Post by jimallyn » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:12 pm

The first rule is, when you find you're in a hole, stop digging. You mention that you fear you may have screwed something up with things that you did. So, don't do anything more until somebody here gives you advice on what you should do. There are a lot of very smart people here, and almost certainly one of them will be along shortly to help you. It doesn't sound like you did anything that would erase all your data and such, so it's probably still there. You can find out by booting the computer from the DVD or USB stick you installed from (don't reinstall!) and looking around with the file manager.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

brutusoftroy99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brutusoftroy99 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:44 pm

thanks, yes, I will stop digging.
I can't boot from the usb stick that I installed from because that has been erased.

vince-freegeek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vince-freegeek » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:54 pm

How does your former boot process look?
How does your current boot process look?
(example. does it boot straight to windows or do you see grub? Any boot error messages?)

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:54 am

@ brutusoftroy99, .......
brutusoftroy99 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:44 pm
thanks, yes, I will stop digging.
I can't boot from the usb stick that I installed from because that has been erased.
You need a Live Linux USB/DVD to access the folders/files from within the borked LM system and copy/save/backup your data.

Then try to reinstall EFI-Grub ... https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/6
If unsuccessful, reinstall LM by using the manual "Something else" install method to first erase/delete the previous borked LM system partitions. Do not touch the Win 10 partitions.

For some guidance on dual-booting LM alongside Win 10/8.1 in UEFI and GPT-disk mode, please refer to .......
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126 (dual-booting UEFI computers)
http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ct/windows
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... nt-install
https://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-m ... uefi-mode/ (note step 17 - if Win 8.x/10 could not boot, <sudo update grub>)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning Tutorial for Legacy BIOS mode and MBR/ms-dos disks)[use as a guide]

Ensure that Secure Boot, Fast Boot and CSM(or Legacy BIOS) are disabled in BIOS setup, Fast Startup is disabled in Win 10/8.1(>Control Panel >Power options), the Live LM media(DVD or USB-stick) is booted in UEFI mode in BIOS setup.

To dual-boot, you only need to pre-shrink the Windows partition if you intend to use the manual "Something else" install method, ie no need to do so if you intend to use the automatic "install LM alongside Windows Boot Manager" method, which will be followed by the LM Installer auto-partitioning the disk and auto-installing the Linux Grub bootloader onto the Windows ESP. Only a root / and swap partition will be auto-created with a total default size of about 20GB. The user will be given the option to increase this default size by moving a slider on the colored Partition table, subject to the maximum available free space in the Windows partition.

For the "Something else" install method, manually partition the pre-shrunk free space accordingly, eg 50GB for /, 1.5X RAM size for Swap(at the end of this space) and 200GB for Home; and ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the Windows EFI System Partition(= ESP = fat32/about 104MB/mount point is /boot/efi) which is usually dev/sda1.

brutusoftroy99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brutusoftroy99 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:19 pm

ok
I have a live linux usb that works
how do I use that to access LM and back up the files that I want to back up?

brutusoftroy99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brutusoftroy99 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:23 pm

vince-freegeek wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:54 pm
How does your former boot process look?
How does your current boot process look?
(example. does it boot straight to windows or do you see grub? Any boot error messages?)
Well formerly it used to boot and give me the choice of either loading LM or windows, I suppose that is the grub thing that you are talking about
now it just loads windows.
perhaps I need to get this grub thing back....

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:03 pm

@ brutusoftroy99, .......
brutusoftroy99 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:19 pm
ok
I have a live linux usb that works
how do I use that to access LM and back up the files that I want to back up?
At the desktop, double-click the >Computer icon, >File system and you will be able to see all your folders in LM. To show hidden folders, do a right-click. In my case, my data is stored at >Home >username >Documents, Downloads, etc. Copy & Paste your data to a USB Flash-drive or external USB HDD.

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:32 pm

Are both on the save drive? If not, then maybe you only need to enter BIOS and set the drive Linux is on to be the boot drive.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

brutusoftroy99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brutusoftroy99 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:51 am

Ok, I solved the problem.
I got my data and just reinstalled mint.
I tried to do that grub thing but it didn't work out.
Thanks anyway.

Return to “Installation & Boot”