Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
HighballMint18
Level 1
Level 1

dual boot ES1-533 freezes at grub install

Post by HighballMint18 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:23 am

I have time on my hands now, a little bit of cancer slowing me down, but not stopping me. My wife got me a Acer ES15 laptop to play around with. :shock: I’m in the frustrating process of trying to set up a dual boot with the already reloaded Windows 10, all updated and everything.
It’s got:
  • fresh install Windows 10, shrunk partition ready to go
    Celeron 1.1 Ghz,
    4G ram,
    500 G SSD,
    intel graphics.
    pretty basic
So, I finally figured out that I needed to create a supervisor password once I’m in BIOS, which I did. :P
Then I made sure Secure boot was turned off and UEFI was turned on.
Next I did the resize partition so I could have some space. So far all is good I’m thinking...Not so fast there Sparky, I hear from the peanut gallery
I reformatted my thumbdrive to fat32, using Rufus and uNetbootin, loaded my LM 18.3 iso into it, and started down installation road.

Or so I thought. The doggone thing freezes up at the grub install everytime. Even with different distros I tried; Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and LM18.3 Cinammon, which is the one I want to install. But all behave the same. :x :x
I saw somewhere that it can be done even with the balky Acer hardware, so can anyone point me in some general direction that addresses dual boot with Windows 10 and LM18.3? I’m not desparate, but my wife doesn’t get my attention till I can put a bow on this project to show that it can be done. That's right, it's her fault! LOL

HighballMint18
Level 1
Level 1

Re: dual boot ES1-533 freezes at grub install

Post by HighballMint18 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:56 pm

Sorry about taking so long to reply administrollaattori the old Locked out of account story applies here.

Anyways, that did not help, still getting hung up on all my installation attempts, which have been couple dozen times now. I can't give up now. If you have anything else you can point me to, I will give it try, even if i may think I tried it already. Nothing to lose :?

asinoro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by asinoro » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:46 pm

Just an idea, if the os is installed and not the grub, run boot repair from live usb to fix the grub.

HighballMint18
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HighballMint18 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:33 pm

Installation of any os has failed, stalling and freezing system at the grub installation portion of the install. I am running out of ideas other than hardware issues, but so far windows keeps going ok.
no problems booting into installation media, and getting the installation started. but so far completing beyond the grub installation hasn't happened. a real head scratcher. I'm running out of places to scratch! :)
Thanks for the idea tho, when that happens, I will post!

Return to “Installation & Boot”