Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
doonit
Level 1
Level 1

intermittent booting and USB issues Mint 18.2 single boot

Post by doonit » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:33 am

Hi,

Recently I've been developing the issue that 8 out of 10 times, when I attempt to boot into my Samsung all-in-one desktop, after the appearance of the Samsung logo and before the Mint system starts, a cursor appears in the top left of the screen and the boot goes no further. I then have to long hold on the power button and try again until eventually Mint boots.

Just as often I find that Mint doesn't register any usb storage. It does always register the usb wireless dongle for keyboard/mouse, though.

My rather limited knowledge suggests to me that I may have developed a problem with the bios on this system. Can that be right?

Some Googling has led me to believe that I need to install a Windows system over everything in order to fix the bios and then re-install Mint over that. So that is what I have attempted to do. I have 2 usb drives in front of me, 1 with Win 10 iso written to it and the other with Mint 18.3.

I've spent a few hours trying to boot into both but it's not working. I've been into the bios and tried every combination of every setting (secure boot on/off, Fast boot on/off, OS mode selection UEFI/CSM/UEFI&CSM) and naturally I've moved the usb to the top of the boot order.

At best I've arrived at the grub screen which lets me choose between the old Mint 18.2 installation, the advanced options for that and 2 different mem tests. If I try with UEFI boot on I arrive at a screen that says all boot methods have been tried (or something like that) and that I can hit F4 for retry or any key for boot loop. This is all Chinese to me.

Note that, a couple of months ago, I was booting into different Linux versions with ease.

I have managed to boot into the Mint 18.3 iso on my duel boot laptop but not the Windows iso. I'm doing a separate google search for why that is.

I've reached the limit of my knowledge with this. I'm a Linux enthusiast after hours but need all instructions in beginner language.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Giles

catweazel
Level 16
Level 16

Re: intermittent booting and USB issues Mint 18.2 single boot

Post by catweazel » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:24 am

doonit wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:33 am
when I attempt to boot into my Samsung all-in-one desktop, after the appearance of the Samsung logo and before the Mint system starts, a cursor appears in the top left of the screen and the boot goes no further. I then have to long hold on the power button and try again until eventually Mint boots.
Please post the output of this terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results in </> code markers, which you can select from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.
Caution: Dancing Wu Li Master and Official curmudgeon-in-chief

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:20 am

@ doonit, .......
doonit wrote:...
AFAIK, non-mainstream All-in-One computers are not well-supported by Linux.

Which program did you use to write/burn the ISO files to the USB Flash-drives.?

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:12 pm

"Samsung all-in-one desktop" Which one?

"...I may have developed a problem with the bios..." Not impossible, but BIOS code is usually well-protected from accidental or malicious tampering, with checksums to ensure the firmware is intact. I would leave that until the end, flashing a BIOS is like DIY kidney surgery, high-risk and best avoided.

EFI code is less well protected, it's supposed to be upgradable so that a new OS can be put on the 'approved' list.

Live Session Problem: Bootable ISO on a USB3 store plugged into a USB3 port? Try with a USB2 cable or hub in between the computer and the USB stick.
Data stored in an encrypted volume will only be accessible with the original password. Without this key, all the data will remain scrambled beyond hope of recovery.

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:18 am

for windows 10 use Microsoft's Media Creation Center software.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... tion-media

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3198745 ... -tool.html

What model Samsung? Does it have proprietary RAID BIOS, like some new Lenovo's?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Installation & Boot”