Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

System requirements for Xfce

Post by jlr1701 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Hey everybody,

I have not used Linux in quite some time. However... I am now in possession of an ancient Dell Dimension 8200 system. It features a 1.7 GHz Pentium 4 CPU (which I assume is 32-bit only), 512 MB of RAM, an Nvidia GeForce 5200 video card, and I believe a 160 GB hard drive. Also a 56k modem and a discrete network card. Wow... an add in NIC... it's been ages since I've seen that! :o But anyway, pretty standard stuff for that era. I would like to bring this old thing back to life with Linux Mint, but I am concerned about the low memory available. The official system requirements list 1 GB of RAM as the minimum for Mint Xfce. So... am I out of luck with only 512 MB available, or will Mint run, but just more slowly than I might ideally like?

If Mint isn't going to work due to the low RAM on this machine, I would really appreciate suggestions for lightweight Linux distros to try, if that's cool to ask about here.

Thanks,

Jeff
Asus Sabertooth X79 mobo/i7-3930k/Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM/Nvidia GTX670/Samsung 540GB SSD/ 2 1TB WD hard drives

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Re: System requirements for Xfce

Post by Flemur » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:07 pm

jlr1701 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:56 pm
512 MB of RAM
The least mem use I've been able to get Xfce down to is about 200MB (from "free -m") (maybe 240MB?) Then open firefox and maybe one tab and you'll be swapping, which is really slow.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

kc1di
Level 13
Level 13

Post by kc1di » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:18 pm

Well technically speaking 512mb is the minimum that xfce needs. But 1 GB is recommended. In that era of machine often some of the ram was used for video memory so you would not have the minimum needed if that is the case. It would definately be a slow goer. You may be better off with antix or LXLE , even Puppy.
the other problem you may run into is I'm not sure that the Nvidia card will still be support, but you can down load the live .iso and give it a try.
good luck.
Easy tips : https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:29 pm

Hi Jeff, that's really low spec for a modern os and too little memory for the oldest supported Mint, IMH. On my ancient PIII Dell, which has 768mb, I have an old, carefully outfitted debian install with jwm 'window manager' instead of any 'desktop environment', but even that is sluggish and firefox is too heavy for it anymore. I'd suggest exploring something lighter on resources, perhaps antix https://antixlinux.com/ or Puppy linux http://puppylinux.com/ .
Mint 18.3 xfce w/nemo - AMD Quad Core - lovely ASUS Xonar ST sound - Radeon R7 Graphics - 1920x1200 Dell U2415
some favs: Zim - mocp - kid3 - calibre - gimp - artha - deluge - handbrake - k3b - ClickRepair - mc
Folding@Home Mint Team Contributor

Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Sir Charles » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:42 pm

Hi Jeff,
Here https://thishosting.rocks/best-lightwei ... x-distros/ is a quite good list of light weight distributions along with their system requirements etc.
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.

jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jlr1701 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:54 am

I really appreciate the recommendations! Antix looks promising. I apologize for not replying for several days, but right now I'm caring for two very sick parents. My father is terminally ill and my mother is currently in the hospital also very sick. Resurrecting an ancient computer took a back seat to everything else when my Mom got sick. She should come home tomorrow, and then life should ease up a bit. Thanks again for the replies. Just FYI, I used Mint for a few years but went back to the Windows world when I bought a set of Bose Companion 5 speakers and discovered that they don't work in Linux, or at least they didn't back in 2012. I'm happy with Windows 10 now, but I am very curious to see how Linux runs on this ancient Dell system and play around with the Linux world again. I remember it being fun... um, frustrating and annoying... No, FUN! Really! :D

Jeff
Asus Sabertooth X79 mobo/i7-3930k/Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM/Nvidia GTX670/Samsung 540GB SSD/ 2 1TB WD hard drives

Reddog1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Reddog1 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:40 am

I have a desktop, not long retired, with a 2.3GHZ Pentium and 512 Megs of ram. It ran 17.1 fine with xfce, so with your machine, I'd give it a try. If it turns out to be too slow then install something else.

Return to “Installation & Boot”