Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wutsinterweb
Level 5
Level 5

ACER: No Bootable Device

Post by wutsinterweb » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:03 pm

Several days ago, after some prodding and suggesting, an associate confirmed he wanted me to put Mint instead of Windows on his Acer Aspire E5-575 V1.25, which is a pretty nice computer but the BIOS was sort of weird. I found out that I had to set an admin password in BIOS in order to turn off secure boot and use legacy to boot from my thumb drive of Mint and install it. Install went fine and I ran it for days with no problem, but he just contacted me saying that when he tries to boot now, he gets a "no boot device" and I think a Mint logo now.

I found this thread:

https://itsfoss.com/no-bootable-device-found-ubuntu/

And I am wondering if that is my best bet. He hasn't come back with the computer yet, but I don't want to lose face with him.

Could the BIOS have reverted a setting? Could the drive have been damaged?

I had to give him all the passwords (BIOS/Root/User) and told him to not let his day, who uses it, is the actual owner, not have access to the admin passwords.

Is this a common problem?

I've only put Linux on about 4 laptops so far, and none were ACERs.
I'm just a student, your guidance is appreciated.

administrollaattori
Level 14
Level 14

Re: ACER: No Bootable Device

Post by administrollaattori » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:15 pm

Boot using liveDVD or USB and check partitions using Gparted.

wutsinterweb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wutsinterweb » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:13 pm

Will do. We are in a Nor'Easter right now so I don't think he will bring it tonight, it's like a blizzard out there.

wutsinterweb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wutsinterweb » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:12 pm

One question just to CYA myself:

Could a webpage hacker manage to somehow wipe a partition without admin privileges? I'm sure the answer is no and that this problem is the BIOS setting as described in my link, but I have to wait for the snow recovery here and the friend to get out here with the computer.

I have never in my life seen someone, his dad who'se computer this is, have more problems, it's bizarre. I don't know of anything he could have done without admin privileges to bork this, so I think this is the BIOS, but I'm surprised that it reverted on its own after how many reboots. I suspect my friend did something he isn't yet telling me about (trying to do something as admin). It IS their computer to do with as they please, so I will fix this no questions or charges, but hopefully they start learning to use safe hex and come to me rather than mess with things and let me teach them. I've offered to come over and give a "class".

AZgl1500
Level 8
Level 8
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:09 am

I suspicion what really happened is the dad managed to lock up the PC, and then just simply shut the power off, pulled the plug, whatever, and you do that enough, it will really mangle the HDD, and sometimes the MBR.

Probably not their problem, but I have a UPS power supply on my big Win7 desktop ( and all of my DirecTV recorders ).
The UPS issues a shutdown command on power failure.

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:20 am

@ wutsinterweb, .......
wutsinterweb wrote:.
Is the Acer dual-booting with Win 10.?
....... It's quite often that Win 10 updates/upgrades will bork the Grub bootloader.

It's possible that the user had fiddled with the UEFI-BIOS setting and borked the system, eg by disabling Legacy BIOS mode.

wutsinterweb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wutsinterweb » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:49 am

It's a laptop with battery

No, I removed Windows entirely.

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:15 am

You mentioned Legacy mode. You installed it in Legacy mode? Default on new UEFI BIOS is NOT Legacy mode. However, once set to Legacy/CSM it should stay there, UNLESS someone changes BIOS to Default Safe Settings and then it will revert to the UEFI mode. It could be as easy as having him enter the BIOS and making sure it's still set in Legacy/CSM mode.

Did you install a 32 bit linux system in Legacy? If you installed 64 bit,which can be installed in both UEFI and Legacy, then why didn't you just install it in the UEFI mode instead?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

wutsinterweb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wutsinterweb » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:12 pm

It is a 64 bit verson and I had to set it to legacy in order to not use secure boot. The BIOS leaved a lot to be desired.

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:17 pm

wutsinterweb wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:12 pm
It is a 64 bit verson and I had to set it to legacy in order to not use secure boot. The BIOS leaved a lot to be desired.
You could have turned off Secure Boot and installed it in the UEFI section. Now however, you will need to switch to Legacy Mode each time you want to boot the Linux and back to the UEFI mode when wanting to boot windows.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

wutsinterweb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wutsinterweb » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:20 pm

It doesn't HAVE windows. No dual boot.

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:31 pm

Then again, it seems the UEFI BIOS went to default settings. Has he had any problems with the time and or date changing on it? It's possible the CMOS chip went to default UEFI setting in the BIOS due to a CR2032 battery that needs to be replaced. If the person will boot into BIOS first, set again to Legacy, it should work OK again, till the BIOS resets to default again.

wutsinterweb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wutsinterweb » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:39 pm

Indeed, this is a good point. There might be something I overlooked or didn't understand to control UEFI vs Legacy. I guess I have to reinstall as UEFI in order to let it keep it as default if it wants to reset that way? Or is there another solution? Also, the computer is less than a year old, so I don't expect that there are great odds that battery went bad, HOWEVER, you make a HUGE point:

What if it doesn't use a button cell but ONLY the main/stack batter, and he let it go dead and BIOS resent? Hmmm... THAT might be what happened!

Dude, you are smart!

wutsinterweb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wutsinterweb » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:41 am

Sorry for the other thread, I meant for it to be a different topic but I went off course.

So it seems that what might have happened (won't know for sure but when I see it I might have a better idea) was that the father let the battery go dead and it reset the BIOS, which put it back to secure boot and UEFI. So I will have to see if there is anything other than that tutorial I need to do with the BIOS.

One question I have is, if you install Mint without a UEFI partition and on a legacy BIOS setting, do you have to do a reinstall in order to get a UEFI boot partition and it to run with UEFI set? If I do have to reinatall, I think I will back up with Aptik if I'm able to boot it at all, and go that route with a fresh install.

I didn't want to do a backup with my personal external drive, but it looks like, for my own sanity, I will need to do so perhaps.

I'm worried that that tutorial and resetting things in BIOS fixes it, UNTIL he lets the battery go dead again, if that is what happened.

My goal was to give the old man a lasting solution and not keep charging them because I don't take advantage of people and wanted to prove that Linux might be better for them.

I've never let my battery go head on my Lenovo, but I've run it without the battery and BIOS doesn't reset.

I used to not like ACER products and had started to come around and change my mind, but now I don't know, maybe they are still not as good as some others?

IF I cannot make a Linux solution that sticks, I'll have to put Windows back on it and tell him there is nothing more I can do but fix it again when he has another problem.

Really annoys me what secure boot and UEFI do and how they are used on these products. Shouldn't there be an anti trust thing to do with this?

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:26 am

@ wutsinterweb, .......
wutsinterweb wrote:.
Even if the laptop battery goes dead, the UEFI-BIOS setup should hold its settings and not revert to the default settings. This likely means that the CMOS battery inside the laptop is also dead and needs to be replaced.

The UEFI-BIOS settings are retained by electrical power from the AC mains or laptop battery or CMOS battery, in that order.
....... If constantly used, the non-rechargeable CMOS battery will last about 2 years. In normal usage, ie in conjunction with AC mains and the rechargeable laptop battery, the CMOS battery can last more than 5 years.
....... If the laptop does not receive power from the AC mains or laptop battery and the CMOS battery has died, the UEFI-BIOS setting will revert to the default values.

fabien85
Level 6
Level 6

Post by fabien85 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:11 pm

wutsinterweb wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:41 am
One question I have is, if you install Mint without a UEFI partition and on a legacy BIOS setting, do you have to do a reinstall in order to get a UEFI boot partition and it to run with UEFI set? If I do have to reinatall, I think I will back up with Aptik if I'm able to boot it at all, and go that route with a fresh install.
It depends how you formatted the hard drive (which you can find with sudo parted --list, line "Partition Table") :
* if it's formatted as MBR, then you will have to backup, reformat the drive to GPT then reinstall
* if it's formatted as GPT already, then you can convert the install to UEFI. To do this you need to :
- resize the / partition so as to leave about 50MB free before it
- create an EFI partition in this unallocated space : create a fat32 partition, then in gparted set the "boot" and "esp" flags on it
- install grub (or alternatively refind) as the fallback bootloader on this EFI partition. First find the EFI partition number, e.g. with gparted, in the following I'm going to assume it's /dev/sda2

Code: Select all

sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
sudo grub-install --removable --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/mnt

Sand
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sand » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:49 pm

Hi wutsinterweb

Ihave a Acer aspire ES1 and that problem sounds familiar. I followed the steps in the same link that you posted and Mint boots without any problem now.
I’ve read that the Bios in Acer machines can be a bit difficult some times and result in problems.

Try the tutorial and change “Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing” to shimx64.efi and confirm this. If this doesn’t work for you then start with then other troubleshooting.

Kindly

Sand
"People who get offended should be offended!"

wutsinterweb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wutsinterweb » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:35 pm

Thank you all.

As far as the battery, I understand that some laptops DO NOT have CMOS batteries, some cheaper models, and while they don't need much voltage or whater off a powerbank batter, I imagine if that battery goes very very dead, it could be an issue.

sand: Thank you for verifying that this could be the issue!

fabien, thank you SO much for that instruction.

The people that reside and frequent this forum are the best people in the world, thank you all. I hope one day I can help others as they help me!

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:34 pm

I checked. That motherboard doesn't have a CMOS battery, according to the motherboard diagram I viewed.

wutsinterweb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wutsinterweb » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:42 pm

It's been so long since I look up repair guides and the fact that the computer is not that old, I didn't even consider looking up. Thank you, I am humbled that you did that.

Return to “Installation & Boot”