"Iso path not found" during installation for Linux Mint 18.3 64 bits

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
muleet

"Iso path not found" during installation for Linux Mint 18.3 64 bits

Post by muleet »

Hi, I've been trying to install Linux Mint 18.3 64 bits on my computer since yesterday with no success.

I have this error that shows up :
https://i.imgur.com/pXAnEqS.jpg

I tried with the Cinammon and Mate version, and I tried to create the bootable key with Unetbootin, Etcher, and Linux Live USB Creator. (Etcher did not work at all, it reduced the size of my key to 2mb and therefore copied only two tiny files.) And of course, I tried to do what is said in the error that shows up (the "chkdsk /r" stuff), several times, but it doesn't change anything for Mint's installation.
My computer is this one : https://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00234953.html It seems that no versions of Windows except Windows 10, can be installed on it (because of the "Kaby Lake" cpu), so I thought Mint may be impacted, I'm not sure at all though.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: "Iso path not found" during installation for Linux Mint 18.3 64 bits

Post by Fred Barclay »

How big is this usb stick? IIRC it needs to be at least 8GB -- and Windows has to be able to see all 8GB.

*Probably Etcher created a 2MB partition on the stick. A partition is sort of like a folder, except it's more low-level. All 8GB were still there, but Windows could only recognise 2MB.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
muleet

Post by muleet »

Sorry to have forgot to be clear on that, the size of my usb key is 16gb. (And I'm using Windows 10 to try to put Mint on the key, if it has any importance.)
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Try making your boot-table media with rufus. https://rufus.akeo.ie/ but I don't think this is the issue.

Are you trying to set up a dual-boot system?

I think the error is telling you that it 'can't find a path' to install to. This could be due to some weird Windows hibernation mode or, more likely the way the UEFI/Bio's has been set up. See if there is an option for AHCI and switch it off.

"Kaby Lake" cpu's work fine with Linux.

You may have to flash, update the UEFI/Bio's. Wait for more comments here before doing anything.
muleet

Post by muleet »

" Are you trying to set up a dual-boot system?"
Yes, with Windows 10 64 bits and Linux Mint 18.3 64 bits. In the past, I succeeded several times already to make a dual boot, with no troubles, but it was with Windows 7 and earlier versions of Mint. (I would have like to stay on W7 by the way, but with that Kaby Lake stuff it seems I can't. Maybe there is a security against the other versions of Windows that I could avoid with the right software, designed for it, but if I do that I'm not sure if W7 would really be able to use my processor at full speed since it seems it's not designed for it... (I'm saying that naively of course, I don't know much about this stuff.) But if it works it may fix my trouble here, since W10 may be responsible for my troubles with Mint's installation.)
I already tried to withdraw entirely the hibernation mode in Windows 10, and the reasons why it should happen, I think I succeeded. But the error in Mint's installation is still there.

"See if there is an option for AHCI and switch it off."
What is AHCI ? How do i turn it off ?

"You may have to flash, update the UEFI/Bio's."
I have no idea on how to do that.

And thanks to both of you for your help.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

+1 for Rufus. Give it a whirl and see if you can boot from the USB stick. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...some hints:
1) Disable Fast Start-Up in Win10.
2) Go into BIOS / UEFI, disable Secure Boot (& Fast Boot).
3) Check the section 'Solving freezes during the boot sequence' here.
4) Obviously, verify & test that the stick was written correctly...
muleet

Post by muleet »

It worked ! I tried with rufus and it didn't changed anything, then I disabled the fast startup of W10, (the fast boot on the bios was already disabled by default, and I didn't find any secure boot), I disabled the AHCI thing, and I used the "nomodeset" option and I tried again with the same usb key, finally it worked.

Thanks again to all of you!

Return to “Installation & Boot”