Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
scrognoid
Level 3
Level 3

Attaching external drive causes "Invalid Partition Table" at boot [SOLVED]

Post by scrognoid » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:53 pm

I have installed Mate 18.3 alongside Windows 7. Everything is fine until I plug in a 3TB usb drive and reboot. I get "Invalid Partition Table". I have confirmed Legacy not UEFI and Secure Boot is off.

I think I messed things up installing Mate. I think I told it to put Grub on /dev/sda1 instead of leaving it to default to /dev/sda. I've attached a Gparted screenshot of the device.

The usb drive only as the one 3TB ntfs partition.

I've reinstalled both Windows and Mint but I did not change or reformat the Windows partitions.

I'm willing to clean the whole drive and reinstall both OSs if that's a good fix. I just don't know if I need to recreate those Windows partitions. I would be loathe to reformat the 3TB usb drive.
Attachments
Screenshot at 2018-03-07 .jpg
Last edited by scrognoid on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Linux Mint 17.3 Mate; Dell XPS 13 (9343); Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz; 4 GB RAM

AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Reboot with USB drive causes "Invalid Partition Table"

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:18 pm

From my understanding of "what you should have done" is to let Grub take over the bootup on the MBR of the Windows computer.

That is how I let it do the job, and never had your situation come up.
I also have an ExtUSB HDD attached to my Win7 PC "most of the time", but even if it is missing when rebooting, no messages come up complaining until the desktop is completely settled down, and then my backup tool, "AlwaySync" sends me a message that it cannot find the USB drive.

My Linux laptop does not care if the USB drive is there, or not.... it just ignores the empty USB slot.
When I plug in the USB drive, I have Nemo configured to popup and show me the drive(s)

scrognoid
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Attaching external drive causes "Invalid Partition Table" at boot

Post by scrognoid » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:57 pm

I was able to fix this with boot order. I had put USB above Internal HDD so I could live boot and install Mint. I thought the system just skipped to the next device if there was no OS, but apparently not in this case.
Linux Mint 17.3 Mate; Dell XPS 13 (9343); Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz; 4 GB RAM

Return to “Installation & Boot”