Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Gnkarn
Level 1
Level 1

How to install on mac 5.1 - internal HD from other mac

Post by Gnkarn » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:03 am

I'm trying to install mint on my iMac 5.1 late 2006 core2duo,
have tried many recipes with no success .

Now have connected the HDD ( internal HD) , as an external HD to my other iMac , booted the live CD , and installed linux to a separate partition .
then installed the disk back and selected the linux boot icon from refind , but screen freezes with this message

starting vmlinuz-4.8.0-53-generic
using load options bra , blah ,blah .....

and just freezes there ,.

i would appreciate any hint on how to properly install linux on the internal HDD, from other computer, ( as i can't use the DVD of that machine , and already tried all thumb drive procedures without success . thank you in advance.

fabien85
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to install on mac 5.1 - internal HD from other mac

Post by fabien85 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:49 pm

Before moving the drive as internal, did you try to boot Linux on the external drive with your first mac ?

Also looking at the specs here : https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac ... specs.html
it seems the imac 5.1 has a 32-bit EFI. So if you installed Mint 64bit in EFI mode, that's just not going to work.

Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:23 am

I recently installed Linux Mint 18.3 Xfce (and Mate for that matter) on a MacBook (mid-2007) that has similar specifications to your computer. Compare your Mac with mine.

The procedure I followed was written by Matt Gadient and is found here and in the pdf attachment below. I converted the standard Linux Mint 18.3 Xfce 64-bit ISO to make it compatible with a 32-bit EFI. The directions are in the section "How-to: Making a standard Linux distro ISO compatible with 32-bit EFI Macs". My MacBook could not boot from a bootable USB flash drive so I burned a DVD to make the installation ISO.

My MacBook is 11 yrs old and was slow to boot and open applications even running OS X 10.7. After installing LM it took about 2 min to boot up. Fortunately, Matt Gadient wrote directions for cutting the boot time by 30 sec. The directions are linked to under Notes > Update from the first article above and worked like a charm. Shutting down is normally a matter of a few seconds (unless there is a lot of housekeeping).

Attached is a procedure I wrote up, which may be too detailed for your tastes. :lol:
How to Install Linux on a mid 2007 MacBook.pdf
(45.14 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

geekomatic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by geekomatic » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:48 am

Attached is a procedure I wrote up, which may be too detailed for your tastes.
A guide can never be too detailed, imho.

Thank you, so much, for writing this! I hope I have a Macbook in my possession some day to try it out.

Awesome!

:)

Return to “Installation & Boot”