Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Papa Joe
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to Install / LiveDVD or LiveUSB works

Post by Papa Joe »

Hi there,

being new to Mint but not new to Linux I recently got this distribution and was quite happy with it.
Trying it out on my older laptop using Live-USB and/or Live DVD (I did both) worked surprisigly well!
Alas, installing from the above mentioned media fails.. or is the time span between pressing "Start Install" and the appearance of the WLAN section about 13h (!!!) later too long? I assume not.
My system:
Pentium-M (non-PAE), 512MB RAM, fairly common graphics adapter, LAN, WLAN, audio chips (it's a HP Pavillion ZT3000).
Yes, its old. Yes, it's small. But, WinXP runs perfectly on it, Ubuntu 12 LTE did as well.
Mint Edition I tried to install: 18.3. Cinnamon
Why works the LiveDBD/USB well but installing (besides XP, as was Ubuntu installed) not?

Any ideas (besides the rather obvious: Use a more modern Laptop) will be kindliest appreciated!

CU,
Papa Joe
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Unabel to Install / LiveDVD or LiveUSB works

Post by kukamuumuka »

Papa Joe wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:07 am
My system:
Pentium-M (non-PAE), 512MB RAM, fairly common graphics adapter, LAN, WLAN, audio chips (it's a HP Pavillion ZT3000).
Waste of time to install Mint for that computer. Puppy or antiX would be better.
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

"...installing from the above mentioned media fails..." Yes. The installer program Ubiquity uses more machine resources than simply running the OS Live Session, more RAM than you actually have for a start. It will format and use a swap space, but everything runs horribly slowly when it's swapping. That is a preview of how the OS will behave after a successful installation, because Mint 18.3 Cinnamon is not Windows XP.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".
Papa Joe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Papa Joe »

Waste of time to install Mint for that computer. Puppy or antiX would be better.
I was rather afraid of an answer like this.
Puppy works well (at least from USB, but that' s how it should be anyway) so I'm curious and will have a look at antix.

Thx
Papa Joe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Papa Joe »

Mute Ant wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:28 am
"... Ubiquity uses more machine resources .... It will format and use a swap space........
Too bad that an installer uses more ram then the final product. Anyway, regarding the coninuousely flashing harddisk-led I was afraid about the use of some swap somewhere...
...Cinnamon is not Windows XP.
Knowing this I tried Mint (as spoken, I was surprised by the well-behaving of it; from LiveUSB almost as responsive as Ubunut 12LTE) ...

Last question: is there a text based install mode?

CU
Papa Joe
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

There's no text-mode installer for desktop Ubuntus, no. Like I said, the performance running Ubiquity is typical of what you will get when/if Ubiquity has finished. Stop at once. You might try...

o Maximise the RAM in the machine and try Mint again... MATE or XFCE this time.

o Choose a distribution more suited to the hardware.
oo Puppy is fun to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. “Albert Says: Everything should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler”.
oo There's many-many-lots of heads and hands behind Debian+Ubuntu+Mint. It Just Works (TM).
oo Debian or Devuan will have 32-bit support for a long time. They support many CPU types, i686 is just one of a bunch for which they compile the same repository contents.
oo LMDE2 Betsy MATE will probably install and work with 512MB RAM. It did last time I tried. I think it's a text-installer too.
oo If it works on a Raspberry PI something similar will work on an XP-Era PC too... common abilities they have.

o For the DIY enthusiast. Install 'ubuntu-server-32-bit'. A modern OS core without any graphic abilities at all...
"The network installer is ideal if you have a computer that cannot run the graphical installer, for example, because it does not meet the minimum requirements for the live CD/DVD,"
https://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
...then add the basics of a GUI...
sudo apt-get install xinit openbox xfe firefox
...and off you go...
startx -----> A minimal GUI Ubuntu needing only 2.5GiB drive space and 78MB RAM to log in. A right-click on the desktop will show you a basic menu.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Return to “Installation & Boot”