Bootloader issue.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RubyStone
Level 2
Level 2

Bootloader issue.

Post by RubyStone »

Again, again, again, again!!!
It happened, it happened.

An update installed and now I get the GRUB boot loader at start up rather than going straight to Linux Mint.

Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?

This is NOT acceptable!!!! Everyone in development knows this happens. It should not. It is basic. It is simple!!! IT is easy!!!!!

"Just go in and disable time to select...." is what everyone recommends. No, no, no, no, no, no.

This cannot be deployed to any use who expects things to work normally. No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Why???????????

The teams cannot figure out how to make updates without triggering this GRUB boot loader???? Why??????

Simple fix ---- option in updates to use OS selection menu from GRUB or not check box..... ohhhh how nice... WELL??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for language
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re:

Post by pbear »

Perhaps you could try the solution austin.texas suggested the last time you complained about this.

Or you can bellyache, which accomplishes nothing.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Sorry but I'm PISSED!!!!!

Post by all41 »

Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?
Exactly. Why? would you not provide basic system information such as as your Mint edition? And is there other OSs in the system? Multiple boot?
This is NOT acceptable!!!!
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
RubyStone
Level 2
Level 2

Re:

Post by RubyStone »

FIRST,
hy-per-bo-le: exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

SECOND,
Why should I waste my time to look up something that I didn't break AND that was working properly before some update. IT SHOULD NOT BREAK IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Using what ever example that someone suggested before doesn't fix the problem.... only the symptom. The problem is that these updates trigger GRUB. The solution is stop triggering grub from these updates that are supposed to be transparent.

I love Linux and Mint is one of the best but if Clem, and this community want to be take seriously, as a professional OS... don't point out what I should do.... point out a solution to the problem so it doesn't keep happening.
RubyStone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RubyStone »

It is a dual boot system but using separate hard drives, NOT utilizing GRUB. I utilize Post screen boot option when I want another OS. This has happened with single OS systems as well.
Sorry, I'm too busy to diagnose something this obvious. I'm trying to utilize Mint as a reliable main OS with occasional boot to MSW for the old stuff. I recommend Mint to everyone BUt when they see a MSDOS style text screen pop up wanting to know which os to boot they wonder what they should do.
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Re:

Post by asinoro »

What message you get when you load the grub?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

It is a dual boot system but using separate hard drives
imho this is the holy grail for multiple OS. Using bios to choose.
But I have to say that I also was presented with a mysterious and uninvited grub--I never surmised the cause though,
but I mitigated by setting the grub timeout to 1 second.
In my situation the other OS (Win7) was never allowed online so I can't place blame there (darn it)
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re:

Post by MrEen »

I think what the OP needs is to disable os-prober.

RubyStone, you might want to try this:

gksudo xed /etc/default/grub (replace xed with your text editor of choice.)

Add this to the file:

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true

Update grub with:

sudo update-grub

I "think" that will give you a more permanent fix. I honestly don't know if updates might remove that.
killer de bug

Re: Re:

Post by killer de bug »

Please apply the solution given to you in the first topic you opened about the subject.
And please refrain to use inappropriate language in this forum.

Thread is locked.

Return to “Installation & Boot”