Can't install linux anymore?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
interdigitated

Re: Can't install linux anymore?

Post by interdigitated »

Hey guys,

So in the meantime I got Kubuntu 17.1 to install and boot, but only in recovery mode with the graphics card disabled.

I think maybe all the problems are being caused by the video card, or more likely the video card and integrated graphics combo. Mint always had issues dealing with multiple monitors because of it, but never anything like this.

Just a thought
interdigitated

Post by interdigitated »

I installed the nvidia driver in recovery mode and now it works fine. Kubuntu that is, which is ok. I don't like it as much, but maybe i'm just used to mint.

I am fairly sure that the linux mint installation media freezes because of the video-card combination of the geforce 1060 and the onboard integrated graphics when using the current version of xorg.
I don't know how to get around that
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Go here: https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sylvia_cinnamon.php

Scroll down to: Solving freezes during the boot sequence

See if that's any help.
interdigitated

Post by interdigitated »

MrEen,
I can't get to the boot sequence with Mint because I can't get through the installer.
Compatibility mode on the install media doesn't work either.

I'm sure if I could get it installed I could find a way to install the graphics driver and it would be fine.

It's ok, i'm just going to use Kubuntu, it's growing on me anyways.
I still have two other systems that run Mint.
Rayland-BH

Post by Rayland-BH »

I had a system a little while back where I could not get Mint (or any Linux) to install either, and I suspected that the GTX 1050 and the integrated graphics were conflicting. I discovered that plugging in a monitor to both the graphics card and the on board card during installation did the trick. It made no sense to me, but it worked. Once it was installed, I was able to switch to the nvidia driver, and now it happily boots with only a single monitor attached to the GTX card.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Here's another idea. Pull the second video card. Install and boot to check it works with the onboard. Reinstall the video card and see if it boots.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Rayland-BH wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:42 am I had a system a little while back where I could not get Mint (or any Linux) to install either, and I suspected that the GTX 1050 and the integrated graphics were conflicting. I discovered that plugging in a monitor to both the graphics card and the on board card during installation did the trick. It made no sense to me, but it worked. Once it was installed, I was able to switch to the nvidia driver, and now it happily boots with only a single monitor attached to the GTX card.
Thats strange
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
interdigitated

Post by interdigitated »

Thanks i'll keep that in mind.

This laptop has always done strange things with using an external monitor, it wouldn't be a surprise to find out it is related to this problem.

I'm done trying to put mint back on this system.. Thanks everyone for their help.

Return to “Installation & Boot”