Can't boot Win 7 on Dual boot with Mint 18.3 - Different

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
onyx_z

Can't boot Win 7 on Dual boot with Mint 18.3 - Different

Post by onyx_z »

Good Day All,
Thanks very much for this forum, I get a lot of good answers here, but unfortunately, not this one.

I set up my Dell Latitude E6520 as a dual boot with Windows 7 and Mint 18.3 (cinnamon) many months ago. For some reason, one day I booted it, and I can no longer see the Windows 7 entry in the boot menu. I tried "update-grub", but it doesn't see it either.

$ sudo update-grub
[sudo] password
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-37-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.13.0-37-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-36-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.13.0-36-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.elf
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
done

I tried boot-repair-disk, and super-grub2, neither helped at all. It's like the windows partition is gone, except it isn't. Using gparted, i can see its still there.
snapshot1a.jpg
It even shows the boot flag. Its /dev/sd1a, over 195GB in size. Last time I used it, it was working fine. I don't know WHY it disappeared from the boot menu, and I can't seem to figure out how to get it back. I don't use the Win 7 partition all that often, and I suspect it MAY have something to do with regular upgrades to the LINUX kernel that blows it away, but I just don't understand why none of the boot menu repair programs can't seem to fix it.

Any help would be Greatly appreciated!

Steve
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Can't boot Win 7 on Dual boot with Mint 18.3 - Different

Post by JerryF »

According to your attached pic, there's something wrong with that partition. That could have been caused by a number of different things.

I would suggest booting your Windows 7 disk and do a repair of Windows. Then boot a Linux Mint disk and fix grub from there.

FIRST: make a backup of whatever is important.

Return to “Installation & Boot”