[Solved] Unable to see SSD sda in LinuxMint install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
firepower
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Unable to see SSD sda in LinuxMint install

Post by firepower »

unable to see SSD sda in live USB linux install , but see it in GParted, computer file system, and shows this.

"fdisk -l"

Disk /dev/sda: 238.5 GiB, 256060514304 bytes, 500118192 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x74181252

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sda1 2048 500117503 500115456 238.5G 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

"parted -l"

Model: ATA M4-CT256M4SSD2 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 256GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 256GB 256GB primary ntfs

have tried partitioning the drive as NTFS , EXT4 , FAT32 and having it flagged boot and not boot (or active and not active)
partitioned with GParted and Partition Magic, Drive is recognised by windows and linux mint live boot USB , can be mounted and unmounted. Install can see Windows install Nvme 1TB SSD and my 500GB HDD and USB Live Boot drive, but not the 256GB SSD i want to install Linux Mint too.
I just can not get it to be seen as part of linux mint 18.3 install process. using something else option during install, no sda SSD shown.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: unable to see SSD sda in install , but see it in GParted, etc

Post by michael louwe »

@ firepower, .......
firepower wrote:.
Your 256GB SSD is in ms-dos/MBR disk mode. If your computer is set to UEFI mode, it cannot use the SSD. Computers in UEFI mode must use GPT disks and 64bit.
....... If so, use GParted to convert the 256GB SSD from ms-dos to GPT disk, ie >Create new partition table >GPT >Apply.
firepower
Level 1
Level 1

Post by firepower »

My Bios is Set to Legacy Mode, UEFI is disabled.
I have previously had my NVME 1TB SSD dual booting windows 10 and Linux Mint, But the latest major Win10 update refused to install due to having an unrecognised partition, (windows refused toplay nicely with linux). So i deleted the linux partition and returned free space back to NTFS. I now have installed a 256GB SATA SSD to use exclusively for linux and will dual boot using bios to choose which drive will boot. 1 windows 1TB SSD or 2 LinuxMint 256GB SSD.
Problem is Linux Mint install is not seeing the 256GB SSD.
I have just created a second USB Live boot disk using a different boot installer Yumi , other live USB was using Etcher.
Running Install Linux Mint using this also cant see 256GB SSD
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

michael louwe wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:49 pm @ firepower, .......
Your 256GB SSD is in ms-dos/MBR disk mode. If your computer is set to UEFI mode, it cannot use the SSD. Computers in UEFI mode must use GPT disks and 64bit.
....... If so, use GParted to convert the 256GB SSD from ms-dos to GPT disk, ie >Create new partition table >GPT >Apply.
I have one HP, which uses EFI and includes GPT and msdos hard drives. No problem with linuxes, because EFI-disk controls boot-process.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ firepower, .......
Have you disabled Fast Startup in Win 10, ie >Control Panel >Power options.?
firepower
Level 1
Level 1

Post by firepower »

you got it administrollaattori :D
disk was part of a raid previously. First Disk i used for Linux install on old laptop (10 year old gaming laptop) but no issuses installing linux (removed original HDD and mounted in DVD caddy and installed linux on internal SSD with caddy out)
this is second disk and having issues, HDD and Nvme SSD are mounted internally, it is a modern gaming laptop.
I ran the command s in your link and Linux nstaller now see sda 256GB SSD
THANK YOU for your help
I will install Linux later as it is very late here after midnight. , thanks again.

surprised the multiple Partitioning and formatting did not remove raid info. Will research more about this.

yes fast start up is disabled in win 10

Return to “Installation & Boot”