Linux Mint UEFI & Screen freeze after Login

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Krustenviech

Linux Mint UEFI & Screen freeze after Login

Post by Krustenviech »

Hi!

Im moving over to Linux after my 15 year linux abstinence and windows using because of privacy and security reasons (and i need to work on linux machines in the future).
I use a Laptop with Nvidia graphics and Windows 10.
Just wanted to try Ubuntu and Linux Mint and both systems didn't work well, because of the two "problems" mentioned above.

Both installations got stuck multiple times and now i just saved my files to an external Drive and kicked Windows10 off my system.
Also deleted all partitions with GParted in the bootable Linux Mint from an USB drive (Made with RUFUS) and have now unlocated space on one drive and an sda3 partition for Mint.

When i want to install, i get the warning, that i'm on UEFI Mode and not BIOS.
From what i was reading today, that means, that Windows is still somewhere in the boot menues?

Since i just want to install Mint without any other system, how would i proceed?
Just install in UEFI Mode, or can i switch to BIOS mode?

Sorry for the newbie like behavior :P
Will get better.

Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Prozessor
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970M (3 GB)

Edit: got it running, but now my screen is black and mouse is stuck after login. Nvidia / Intel problems?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Linux Mint BIOS not UEFI installation

Post by JoeFootball »

Krustenviech wrote:From what i was reading today ...
For more information, be sure to read the Linux Mint Installation Guide if you've not already.

Joe
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Krustenviech, .......
Krustenviech wrote:.
You have a post-2011 UEFI computer which can also be set to Legacy BIOS install mode. This is done by enabling CSM(= Compatibility Support Module) or Legacy BIOS in UEFI-BIOS setup. At the same time Fast Boot should also be disabled. Also, Legacy BIOS install mode should use ms-dos/MBR disks, and not GPT disks.
....... Check the disk mode by going to >Accessories >Disks. To convert a GPT to MBR/ms-dos disk, use the built-in GParted Tool from the Live LM USB, ie >Create new partition table >ms-dos >Apply.

It is possible to install LM in Legacy BIOS mode on a GPT disk but it requires extra procedures, eg need to manually create a bios-grub partition. So, avoid such an install when possible.

In comparison, UEFI install mode for LM requires Secure Boot, Fast Boot and CSM to be disabled - also requires GPT disks, 64bit OS and the Live LM USB be booted in UEFI mode through the Boot menu.
Krustenviech

Post by Krustenviech »

JoeFootball wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:42 am
Krustenviech wrote:From what i was reading today ...
For more information, be sure to read the Linux Mint Installation Guide if you've not already.

Joe
Red it.
My installation got stuck again, but after shutting the laptop down and booting it, i got my first working login screen that worked. Past login screen just black screen with stuck mouse :(
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

See the release notes regarding Nvidia graphics.
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sylvia_cinnamon.php > Solving freezes during the boot sequence
Krustenviech

Post by Krustenviech »

Laurent85 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:57 am See the release notes regarding Nvidia graphics.
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sylvia_cinnamon.php > Solving freezes during the boot sequence
Thx. That sounds good, but i can't get to the console with holding shift. Is there any other way to get nomodeset boot option?
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Krustenviech, .......
Try repeatedly pressing the SHIFT or ESC key during startup, to access the Grub menu.
Krustenviech

Post by Krustenviech »

michael louwe wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:00 pm @ Krustenviech, .......
Try repeatedly pressing the SHIFT or ESC key during startup, to access the Grub menu.
Tried that and didnt work.
Does the console of the live usb version affect my system also if i sudo the commands?

I still just get an black screen with stuck mouse after login.

Most solutions are focusing on Nvidia or Intel driver problems....
michael louwe

Re: Linux Mint BIOS not UEFI & Screen freeze after Login

Post by michael louwe »

@ Krustenviech, .......
Please refer to ....... https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBootParameters
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
Krustenviech

Post by Krustenviech »

michael louwe wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:11 pm @ Krustenviech, .......
Please refer to ....... https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBootParameters
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
thx. but it runs on live usb. But in the existing installation i cant access the console and DE gets stuck after loging in.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Krustenviech, .......
You should reinstall LM by following Laurent86's link to fix Nvidia graphics card screen freezing problem.
Krustenviech

Post by Krustenviech »

michael louwe wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:05 am You should reinstall LM by following Laurent86's link to fix Nvidia graphics card screen freezing problem.
Just did install all and even downloaded the release new and installed via USB.
Same outcome.

Got in bootmenu with ESC key. "Nomodeset" didnt help, but "nouveau.noaccel=1" got me to console.
But i have no clue, what to do now.

How would i install Nvdia drivers and start DE in console mode now?

Return to “Installation & Boot”