Install Mint 18.3 in same disk space as 17.3

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ilikesteel
Level 2
Level 2

Install Mint 18.3 in same disk space as 17.3

Post by ilikesteel »

I have an ACER AMD quad core system. I currently have Win 7 and Linuxmint 17.3 running side by side. dual boot works perfect. I get the Grub menu on startup, with linux mint as the default selection. I would like to install 18.3, not upgrade, but fresh install of 18.3. I'd like to use the same disk partitions I have now. how can I do it and still retain the integrity of the dual boot option.

thanks

ilikesteel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Install Mint 18.3 in same disk space as 17.3

Post by deepakdeshp »

One option is to shrink your existing partitions and use this freed up space to install Mint 18.3
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

When you install Mint 18.3 select the installation method "something else". Now mark the current system partition for 17.3, click to change, select to format and select the mount point / (only slash). If you have a separate home partition do the same accordingly, but select the mount point /home.

Note: Do a backup of your user data, before you do anything else! If you overwrite them (by will or by error) they are lost for eternity.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

ilikesteel wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:28 pmI would like to install 18.3, not upgrade, but fresh install of 18.3. I'd like to use the same disk partitions I have now.
Do you want to keep 17.3? The other two answers seem to be based on different understandings of what you want to do.

If NOT, just install 18.3 to the same partitions 17.3 was using. Format the partitions (check mark on the partition part of the installer) so no junk remains in the partitions.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Installation & Boot”