Which Linux Mint edition should I pick?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lmoise70

Which Linux Mint edition should I pick?

Post by lmoise70 »

Hi!
I have an old laptop Dell Latitude D505, and I try to revive it, the configuration is :
INTEL CPU 1.6 ORIGINAL, I changed it with INTEL 1.73 (2M)
Ram 2x512=1g DDR1 333
8M VIDEO...
HDD 40 G
so on... I don't know what else to say about it,
PLEASE IF ANYONE CAN RECOMAND ME A GOOD VERSION OF LINUX MINT.
THANCK YOU!

PS.
I have already tried 17.3 and have problems with the background image, and also is a little bit slow...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Which Linux Mint edition should I pick?

Post by xenopeek »

With only 1 GB RAM I'd suggest you make sure to use a 32-bit edition and not a 64-bit one. This will limit you a bit as some programs, like Google Chrome, no longer support 32-bit system. But as 64-bit on average uses up to 30% more memory for the same task, with only 1 GB RAM you really don't want that.

Further I'd suggest to use Xfce as it is the most lightweight Linux Mint has to offer. You can try it with Linux Mint 17.3 but as that has 1 year of support left you would likely be better to try Linux Mint 18.3 Xfce 32-bit: https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=250. If that works well, you can use that for much longer (till mid 2021) before you've have to upgrade again.

If Linux Mint 18.3 Xfce 32-bit doesn't run well enough on your system you may have to look at something more lightweight. There are Linux distros that focus specially on running well on older hardware. They will make other default program selections as well; picking more lightweight alternatives (read: with less complete feature set) for default installed programs. If you want advice on that please post in Chat about Linux forum as discussion about other Linux distros is off-topic in the support forums. But give Linux Mint Xfce 32-bit a try first.
lmoise70

Post by lmoise70 »

Thank you, xenopeek 'll try it.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

A quick search on ebay turns up 2 GB RAM upgrades for your computer for as little as $8.54.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

+1 for XFCE - The others would be too heavy for that machine. (though Mate may work.)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
lmoise70

Post by lmoise70 »

Thanks everybody for comments, very usefull, a ram upgrade, good ideea,
I tried whit XFCE, but... was too slow :(
at the end I tried 17.1 without codecs, I really dont know what is missing, but is light...
It run ok on youtube, so on, hope to dont change after update s .

Return to “Installation & Boot”