grub/grub2 won't appear for me?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ben365

grub/grub2 won't appear for me?

Post by Ben365 »

I just installed Linux Mint as a newbie, but when I boot, no signs of grub or grub2 are seen. The only way for me to access Mint is to go to BIOS and manually selecting the drive Linux is on, if not, it just boots to Windows 10. I have tried using a program called easyBCD, but since my logic board uses UEFI bootloading it won't let me add Linux as a second OS alternative. When I set the boot-mode to Legacy in BIOS, it refuses to launch Windows and my option to launch Linux is gone in the wind. I would highly appreciate some help...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: grub/grub2 won't appear for me?

Post by catweazel »

Ben365 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:19 pm When I set the boot-mode to Legacy in BIOS
Try this. In your BIOS, set the linux drive as the boot device and boot into linux. Then, in a terminal:

sudo update-grub

After that, reboot to see if Windwoes has been detected and is able to start. If the GrUB menu isn't displayed, hold down the left shift key or hold Esc while GrUB loads.

See this article on how to set a grub timeout. Specifically you want section 2. Set OS timeout (GRUB_TIMEOUT).
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
idle

Post by idle »

Yes try what's suggested above. It can be a bit confusing when you start out as there can be different keys to different systems that allow access to the grub menus. On my laptop I have to press the F1 key for grub, but if I use my wireless keyboard i have to press Esc to access it. Ask me how long that took to work out ... :lol:
Ben365

Post by Ben365 »

I used the sudo update-grub command as I was told, but when I restart my computer is just boots straight into Windows. I tried holding down Shift, Esc and F1 as Mint was booting, but instead of showing grub, it just booted normally. Also, the disk with Mint on it does no longer show up in the boot priority list, so I have to press a button called "Boot Menu" and from there select the disk with Mint on it.

Return to “Installation & Boot”