Fresh install, jerky mouse & no click!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
knobby

Fresh install, jerky mouse & no click!

Post by knobby »

Hi folks,

I´ve just built a new PC today and am struggling to get Mint 18.3 working properly. The computer specs are:

AMD A6 APU (socket AM4)
MSI A320 Motherboard
4Gb DDR4 RAM
128Gb Adata SU800 SSD
1Tb WD Blue HDD

When I run the live USB stick I have to select compatibility mode otherwise I just get a blank screen with a cursor, but in compatibility mode Mint runs fine.

Thanks to the help received on this forum, I´ve managed to configure the PC so that /home is on the 1Tb drive, while everything else is on the SSD. After the installation is complete and I reboot Mint does start, but so do my problems. What happens is that the mouse seems to stick/freeze then jump about the screen, only to temporarily freeze again. Also, I cannot seem to click on anything as the clicks don´t register. The hard drive light is constantly flashing too. All I can do is force a shutdown with the power button.
It has been installed using EFI; I also tried an installation without booting through UEFI but the same thing happens.

Any ideas as to what´s wrong and what I can do to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Fresh install, jerky mouse & no click!

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please post output of command

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
knobby

Post by knobby »

How do I get a terminal window if I can't click on anything?
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Pressctrl-alt-t.
knobby

Post by knobby »

deepakdeshp wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:18 pm Please post output of command

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Unfortunately I can't - I can't get any response from the keyboard either. It works perfectly while running from the USB stick.
knobby

Post by knobby »

Ok, I booted from USB stick and ran the command:

mint@mint ~ $ inxi /Fxz
CPU~Dual core AMD A6-9500 RADEON R5 8 COMPUTE CORES 2C+6G (-MCP-) speed/max~1400/3500 MHz Kernel~4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 Up~1 min Mem~547.8/3883.5MB HDD~1132.3GB(0.7% used) Procs~205 Client~Shell inxi~2.2.35
mint@mint ~ $
knobby

Post by knobby »

Ok, Ive part solved the problem. I booted from the USB stick, installed Grub Customiser and modified Grub on the hard drive to add the boot parameters "nomodeset xforcevesa". This works and has let me boot the machine with a working mouse and keyboard (I am using it to type this).

So now I need a driver for this APU so off I went to the AMD website. No mention of Linux Mint, but it gives Ubuntu drivers. I downloaded these but they will not install. I get:

"Error: Dependancy is not satisfiable: fglrx-core"

My APU is an A6 with Radeon R5 Graphics. Any idea what I can use as a driver?
knobby

Post by knobby »

Looks like I have found the answer here:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=248059

No drivers available for APU's :evil:

Return to “Installation & Boot”