[SOLVED] Cannot enter grub menu after mint 18 cinnamon install - nomodeset issue

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
krepsen
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Cannot enter grub menu after mint 18 cinnamon install - nomodeset issue

Post by krepsen » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:51 am

Trying to install mint 18 cinnamon on a HP Z6 computer (no windows/clean install) - I manage to install Linux by replacing "splash quiet" with "nomodeset".
However, I cannot enter the "second GRUB" after rebooting post-installation - hence I cannot replace the splash quiet" with "nomodeset" in the "second GRUB" = black screen after booting bios.

Did this on a HP Z240 and was able to open the grub menu to replace the "splash quiet" to "nomodeset" after install. However, for the Z6 I cannot get it to start the grub menu.

I have tried holding SHIFT (both left and right) multiple times, also tried booting directly from bios (the usb) but that will only allow me to enter the first grub menu (the grub menu for the live disk).
Is there another way to get the grub menu (for the hard disk)?

[SOLVED] - press [esc] instead of [shift] after loading the bios brings up the boot load screen
Last edited by krepsen on Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

kc1di
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Cannot enter grub menu after mint 18 cinnamon install - nomodeset issue

Post by kc1di » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:15 am

Hello krepsen and Welcome to Linux Mint,

Have you removed the install media /DVD or USB? you must remove that from the machine in order to get to the installed system.
then the shift key should work to get you to the grub menu. if it does not it means that grub was not properly install and you need to reinstall the system.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Installation & Boot”