X Windows Won't Start Automatically (Mint 18.2)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DrSpaced

X Windows Won't Start Automatically (Mint 18.2)

Post by DrSpaced »

When booting Linux Mint 18.2, X Windows does not start automatically. Instead, I get a black screen with a flashing underline character in the upper left. By switching to one of ttys (1-6) and entering "startx", X Windows starts correctly in that tty with Tty 7 not being accessible. This behavior was not always the case and could have been stimulated by a distro update. The display manager is Lightdm with the other DMs not installed. Further, I am using WQHD screen resolution (2560×1440) using only the intel graphics supplied by the MB. What can I do to get X to start up automatically?

I'm not sure about what other information to supply. I will provide any requested info on my system and setup as requested.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: X Windows Won't Start Automatically (Mint 18.2)

Post by thx-1138 »

DrSpaced wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:28 am ..............
This behavior was not always the case and could have been stimulated by a distro update.
...maybe you were affected / hit by this?
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=266478
DrSpaced

Post by DrSpaced »

Thanks for the suggestion, but, no, this does not fit my symptoms. I have never done anything with VirtualBox on this system.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

DrSpaced wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:27 pm Thanks for the suggestion, but, no, this does not fit my symptoms. I have never done anything with VirtualBox on this system.
Are you sure?

Code: Select all

dpkg --get-selections | grep virtualbox
DrSpaced

Post by DrSpaced »

OK, it probably does apply to my situation. The posts that I read didn't seem to me to fit on my initial review. Accordingly, I have removed the virtualbox components discussed in the referenced post thread. Later, when convenient, I will reboot to check the result. Then, if successful as is likely, I will mark the topic as solved. Thank you.
administrollaattori wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:24 pm
DrSpaced wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:27 pm Thanks for the suggestion, but, no, this does not fit my symptoms. I have never done anything with VirtualBox on this system.
Are you sure?

dpkg --get-selections | grep virtualbox
DrSpaced

Post by DrSpaced »

Hello all,

Now I am sure. There was a power outage and the computer rebooted. The GUI did not start and, as before, I had to run "startx".

Interestingly, I have a few LXLE hosts that are only now exhibiting the same behavior. So, it seems that something in the Ubuntu updates is causing this problem.

NOT SOLVED!!!
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

DrSpaced wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:12 pm Hello all,

Now I am sure. There was a power outage and the computer rebooted. The GUI did not start and, as before, I had to run "startx".

Interestingly, I have a few LXLE hosts that are only now exhibiting the same behavior. So, it seems that something in the Ubuntu updates is causing this problem.
Two options:
Option 1: Reconfigure Lighdm

sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
Option 2:
Install and use MDM

apt install mdm
sudo dpkg-reconfigure mdm

Return to “Installation & Boot”