No space left on device

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: No space left on device

Post by JerryF »

I also suggest installing third-party software:
Screenshot from 2018-05-16 22-17-55.png
Here is where the installation program tries to figure out how much room it can create in a partition(s) to install Mint. This of course will vary from computer to computer.

You should be able to slide the partitions. The cursor will change to a left and right arrow cursor <-> when it's place on the vertical dots that are in between the partitions.
Screenshot from 2018-05-16 22-18-30.png
davidmint01

Post by davidmint01 »

Jerry, this is kind of you, but please stop. I really have given up and besides I don't want to risk losing my Windows!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Ok, didn't know that.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

davidmint01, nobody here can make you change over to a better, more secure operating system. But, if you do want to try again at some point, send me a message and I can walk you through it over the phone/text/email/whatever. Like a lot of others here, I just hate to see anybody using Windows!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I know it's too late for you now. I just did that process for a computer running XP yesterday. The only difference being that I chose NOT to dual boot.

The question that I would ask is "What's so critical that you must keep XP?" FWIW all of my "mission critical stuff" has always been kept on a computer that has a recent OS that is still in LTS. Which, until January, meant Windows 7 or later, now they are all Linux, and I am in no hurry to return to the dark side. I stayed with windows for as long as I did only because I had some documents and databases that I had spent years developing using Werd, Accsux, SlowCell and VBA that did not easily port to the open office variants. All my word and excel docs now open as before in LibreOffice so that's one problem solved. My Access stuff, well, I have found a replacement that is near enough and I am in the process of learning Perl, HTML and other languages to push it into shape.

If, as you claim, you are competent in Windows then re-formatting and re-partitioning should be a no-brainer. I could do that in my sleep. As for installing dual boot, the Linux live disks do that easily and with only little input from the user. (Typically the default answers are fine but it, being the friendly OS that it is, gives you some choices rather than saying ) I AM WINDOWS AND YOU MUST DO IT MY WAY. Would you like to go and purchase a new car and not have a choice other than a Black car? (ref: Henry Ford - model T)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

davidmint01 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:16 pmAn expert would be willing to do a lot more that giving me tangential help, such as untested suggestions. They would commit to working with me, and would know how to guide me to put the entire Mint file system into a file on the XP computer. I don't mean that they would come to my house in Maine.

Kind reminder: this forum is made by and live by community people. They do this for free on their own time and do not owe anything to you.
If they help, it's because they are willing to do so. They don't have to commit to anything.

Using Linux involves one major skill. Being able to read and search the web for solutions. Don't assume we have to give you ready to use solutions all the time.

Return to “Installation & Boot”