Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
16base
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon doesn't boot due to missing drivers

Post by 16base » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:21 pm

So, I am close to very certain that my system is unable to launch Cinnamon due to missing intel drivers for my built-in intel GPU. I have a laptop with 2 GPUs, Intel and Nvidia.
After experiencing freezes when changing display settings, I read in the release notes that this is a known issue and that it's caused by the Intel drivers. The advice given: remove the drivers, reboot. And so I did. Aaaaand, now my Cinnamon is unable to launch.

Symptoms:
- the mint logo is followed by a black screen and a non-blinking cursor in the top-left corner of the screen
- CTRL+ALT+F2 works; I can access TTY

I've already reinstalled the drivers via TTY, but that doesn't seem to work. So, I wonder, can I make it such that the Nvidia GPU is used for Cinnamon? I've had this with Windows too where the desktop would use the Intel GPU, and GFX applications would use the Nvidia one. And if that's not possible, can I revert this mistake?

I figured that in the future I shouldn't blindly remove drivers of installed hardware regardless of who's telling me.

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Cinnamon doesn't boot due to missing drivers

Post by michael louwe » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:32 am

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257
https://linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon.php
For Nvidia, if still unsuccessful, try modprobe.blacklist=nouveau

16base
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cinnamon doesn't boot due to missing drivers

Post by 16base » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:37 am

Hey, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the whole hold SHIFT thing doesn't work for me. I held shift before the ASUS logo, after the ASUS logo, right before the Mint logo appeared, I held it when the Mint logo just appeared and after it had appeared; no success.

Just to clarify (I forgot yesterday, I was beyond exhausted) I am running Mint 18.3 Cinnamon on an ASUS X756UB. The drivers that I uninstalled were:

Code: Select all

xserver-xorg-video-intel
as adviced on this page: https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sylvia_cinnamon.php (first known issue at the bottom of the page)

EDIT: I pressed ESC instead of SHIFT, got in the boot menu and managed to change 'quiet splash' to 'nomodeset' and it works! Yay!
EDIT2: now Cinnamon crashed and goes into Fallback Mode upon login.
EDIT3: works fine now. It doesn't recognize the Nvidia drivers, but I can fix that.

Return to “Installation & Boot”