Not booting. Dell inspiron 15

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CharBaby

Not booting. Dell inspiron 15

Post by CharBaby »

Gonna start this by saying I don't know a whole lot about computers but I can follow instructions very well.

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 that was running Windows 10. But I'm afraid I ruined something.

I watched a detailed video on how to install Mint from a USB, which works so I have an OS as long as the USB is plugged in. I followed every step making sure I did exactly what was shown in the instructions. When I got to the screen asking if I want to boot along side win10 or install over, I chose to install over it. I played with the UI for awhile and decided I really liked it so thought "what the hell, I hate win10 so might as well get rid of it and open up that space". I checked other videos and they all say to do the same things and even to download the same software to make the USB bootable.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DAMIEN1307

Re: Not booting. Dell inspiron 15

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

did you disable fast boot and or secure boot in bios before the installation?...DAMIEN
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Not booting. Dell inspiron 15

Post by fabien85 »

+1 on secure boot and fast boot.
Another thing you can try is to reinstall (you have nothing to lose), choose "erase the disk and install linux mint", and later in the process do not select "Install third-party software for graphics and Wi-Fi hardware, Flash, MP3 and other media." (you will be able to install them later).

Other thing : what do you mean exactly by "Not booting." ? Give us more details.
Do you get an error message like "No bootable device" or something similar ? Do you just get a black screen with a blinking underscore in the top corner ? Do you see the splash screen (Mint logo with green/white dots below) ? Any useful information on the screen ?

Did you get any error during install ?

Also i you can go in the firmware interface (/BIOS), check the boot order to see if there is an entry called "ubuntu"

Return to “Installation & Boot”