Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
loonyphoenix
Level 1
Level 1

LiveUSB Persistent

Post by loonyphoenix »

Hello everybody, I'm new here, and I'm relatively new to Linux overall, so please be lenient if I sound stupid. :)

I've tried a lot of methods to create a persistent LiveUSB of Linux Mint 7 Main, but all of them failed in one way or another.

The methods I tried included:
The Portable Linux USB live Linux creator, which failed at the first stage with an error;
This guide to do everything manually; the result was a system which seemed to almost load, but stopped with a commad-line interface with something like initram-fs written at the promt;
Ubuntu's usb-creator, but it apparently only works on pure Ubuntu distributions, because, though it did create a bootable liveusb drive from the Linux Mint 7 image, it failed to make it persistent.

So, anybody has any tips on how to make it work?

Also, what would happen if I just installed Linux Mint on the USB drive? Would it be safe for my current system? For the USB stick? Would it work on other computers, or only on the one I installed it on? If yes, would it be faster or slower than the traditional LiveUSB? And if not, would I be able to make a full install portable, i.e., detect drivers at start-up and use them and such? Preferrably with the option to use installed proprietory drivers? That would be my dream come true, a fully-functional system which I would be able to carry around in my pocket :)

Thanks in advance,
LoonyPhoenix

loonyphoenix
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LiveUSB Persistent

Post by loonyphoenix »

PS: I'll try this solution, as well. It just might work!

jorx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jorx »

It looks promising- but I get a

Disk Error
Press any key to restart

loonyphoenix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by loonyphoenix »

The Windows way worked for me. However, I can't write to the flash drive from inside linux, because apparently it thinks it's a cd-rom or something (it's mounted on /cdrom).

thelowreysfour
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thelowreysfour »

tried this using USBMint7.exe

i have tried several times, reinstalled... on the first attempt to boot i get an error. will not finish loading

soft reset failed
mod probe: fatal: could not load/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/modules.dep: no such file or directory

please help

akim_hobo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by akim_hobo »

I'm having the same problem. What hardware are you running?

I have:

Phenom II 940
Biostar TA790GX 4GB ram
250 SATA HD (2nd boot device)
OCZ 4GB USB (1st boot device)

Not sure what is going wrong. Anybody?

loonyphoenix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by loonyphoenix »

Can somebody please answer my question about what would happen if I outright installed Linux Mint 7 on the usb drive? Would it work only on the machine I installed it from or on a variety of hardware? What would be the drawbacks/advantages over the usual LiveUSB install?

kei84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kei84 »

I think installing Mint in your usb would the same as installing in a external hd. You will to create a swap partition too.

As long as you set the machines to boot from usb, I believe it would work on most computers.

JHan816
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JHan816 »

For the Pendrive Linux procedure....
If you are using Vista to do the installation you will get "permission" errors at the point where it tries to make the USB pendrive bootable. It does copy all the files correctly to the pendrive.
To get it to boot you must go to the Makeboot.bat file that was copied on the pendrive, right click it and select "Run as administrator". It should then work.

I know this is a month old thread... I hope it helps.

--John

saxoli
Level 2
Level 2

Post by saxoli »

Hy everyone ...

I hope I can help you with my posts .....

click here ... http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 3&p=168759

Many greetings,

Oliver

Return to “Installation & Boot”