Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Uboatfreak
Level 1
Level 1

Cant boot because of missing partition

Post by Uboatfreak » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:41 am

Hello!

I installed Linux Mint on my laptop as a dual boot with Windows 10, using the guide from herehttps://forums.mydigitallife.net/thread ... -10.62886/ . Everything was fine, but I wanted to have a partition to use with both windows and Linux. So I tried to format /home from ext4 to fat 32, but I could not unmount it or format it because it said it was still in use. I got annoyed and just went into Windows and format it into ntfs from there. After that, Linux Mint would not boot, showing this error message: https://imgur.com/2XvwRY5

I went to see the etc/fstab file and compare it with the partition data shown by sudo blkid and this shows: https://imgur.com/Cz8G6r4

The partition in question is nvme0n1p9. I read on the Ubuntu forums that I should edit the fstab file to be the same as what sudo blkid shows. Hoewever, I don't see anything in fstab that I can recognise as a partition. What do I do to fix this?

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Cant boot because of missing partition

Post by Mute Ant » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:49 am

Ooo you broke it. That's sad, really, because Mint can't use FAT or NTFS mounted on /home anyway. There's no problem mounting Windows-compatible file systems on top of the visible folders in your home folder. It's the hidden cache, configuration and authority files that need a Linux OS file system.

Since the new partition isn't mounted, there's an empty /home folder that's still part of the OS file system. If you can, keypress Ctrl+Alt+F1 and log in to a TTY console. There will be some error messages because the home folder isn't there, so fix that first...
sudo mkdir /home/$USER
sudo chown $UID:$UID /home/$USER
...then restart 'from the top', either a full reboot or just Xorg and the greeter...
sudo killall Xorg

You don't need any entries at all in /etc/fstab to get Mint started. The boot might pause if the root file system is read-only, which is easily fixed...
sudo mount -o remount,rw /
A bad entry, on the other hand, will stun the boot process for 90 seconds while Linux waits for it to become 'ready' and of course it never does.
Data stored in an encrypted volume will only be accessible with the original password. Without this key, all the data will remain scrambled beyond hope of recovery.

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Flemur » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:57 am

Uboatfreak wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:41 am
I got annoyed and just went into Windows and format it into ntfs from there.
You can cancel that out by reformatting your windows "C:" partition to ext4, using gparted in linux.

No, just kidding!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

Uboatfreak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Uboatfreak » Sun May 06, 2018 7:25 am

Mute Ant wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:49 am
Ooo you broke it. That's sad, really, because Mint can't use FAT or NTFS mounted on /home anyway. There's no problem mounting Windows-compatible file systems on top of the visible folders in your home folder. It's the hidden cache, configuration and authority files that need a Linux OS file system.

Since the new partition isn't mounted, there's an empty /home folder that's still part of the OS file system. If you can, keypress Ctrl+Alt+F1 and log in to a TTY console. There will be some error messages because the home folder isn't there, so fix that first...
sudo mkdir /home/$USER
sudo chown $UID:$UID /home/$USER
...then restart 'from the top', either a full reboot or just Xorg and the greeter...
sudo killall Xorg

You don't need any entries at all in /etc/fstab to get Mint started. The boot might pause if the root file system is read-only, which is easily fixed...
sudo mount -o remount,rw /
A bad entry, on the other hand, will stun the boot process for 90 seconds while Linux waits for it to become 'ready' and of course it never does.
Sorry for the late reply. Interesting, on the LTT forums and the My Digital Life forums I was told it would just be easier to reinstall Mint than do anything else. I will try your suggestions, thank you very much!

mrmajik45
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mrmajik45 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:34 am

SiMpLe GeOmEtRy
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC

lsemmens
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lsemmens » Sun May 06, 2018 9:04 pm

Sorry to hear about the stuffed up partitioning and stuff. My solution may not be quite as elegant as others (mainly because Windoze is such disaster) but, would it not be faster and tidier (in that everything is reset to new) to blow it all away re-install Windoze (if you have to - will take about 6 hours at my last attempt) and then re-install Linux (only 20 minutes at last attempt) making sure you have set your partitions correctly as you go.

FWIW I keep stuff that Windoze needs on an external drive for that purpose. The rest lives on my file server which is pure Linux.
Kernel: 4.15.0-24-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.7
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 4Gb RAM
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
Out of my mind - please leave a message

mrmajik45
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mrmajik45 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:08 pm

Windumb you mean?
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC

Uboatfreak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Uboatfreak » Thu May 24, 2018 9:49 am

lsemmens wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:04 pm
Sorry to hear about the stuffed up partitioning and stuff. My solution may not be quite as elegant as others (mainly because Windoze is such disaster) but, would it not be faster and tidier (in that everything is reset to new) to blow it all away re-install Windoze (if you have to - will take about 6 hours at my last attempt) and then re-install Linux (only 20 minutes at last attempt) making sure you have set your partitions correctly as you go.

FWIW I keep stuff that Windoze needs on an external drive for that purpose. The rest lives on my file server which is pure Linux.
I will that in the summer. Now I just need Linux to practice Bash for my exam.

JerryF
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JerryF » Thu May 24, 2018 12:51 pm

Uboatfreak wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:49 am
Now I just need Linux to practice Bash for my exam.
An option that might be good is to create a Live Mint USB flash drive with persistence and use that to practice Bash.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

administrollaattori
Level 14
Level 14

Post by administrollaattori » Thu May 24, 2018 1:25 pm

Uboatfreak wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:49 am
I will that in the summer. Now I just need Linux to practice Bash for my exam.
You do not need Linux for using Bash.
https://www.howtogeek.com/249966/how-to ... indows-10/

Return to “Installation & Boot”