[SOLVED]Windows 10 Dual Boot Issue

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AggieWestside

[SOLVED]Windows 10 Dual Boot Issue

Post by AggieWestside »

I'm trying to dual boot Mint 18.3 with Windows 10. I followed all instructions on every and all websites I could find. Used RUFUS to format my USB with the ISO, created a new partition of ~113 GB. The USB shows up on my UEFI list, so I click "Linux Mint Cinnamon". Everything works fine up to this point.

However before entering the OS, I can see some error messages. They flash by too fast to read. When I click on the "instal Linux" application, I go through all steps until I reach the point where it should ask if I want to boot along side Windows or "Something Else". But this screen does not show up. Instead I see the screen where you would normally allocate your free space, but the list is completely empty. If I click any button, the application crashes. Could use some major help on this one.

Some other info:
My PC: Dell Precision 5510 64 bit processor
Fast Startup is OFF
Windows is installed in UEFI
I've re-downloaded the ISO several times from different mirrors
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: Windows 10 Dual Boot Issue

Post by michael louwe »

Check the hard-drive setting in BIOS Setup and see whether it is set to RAID or AHCI.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

did you also manage to Read this Tutorial:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
it's written for win-8x, but does apply to win-10 as well.

- - are you also installing the LinuxMint system in UEFI mode,, since the existing win-10 is also in UEFI mode ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
AggieWestside

Post by AggieWestside »

michael louwe wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:05 am Check the hard-drive setting in BIOS Setup and see whether it is set to RAID or AHCI.
Currently set to RAID
AggieWestside

Post by AggieWestside »

Pierre wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:19 am did you also manage to Read this Tutorial:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
it's written for win-8x, but does apply to win-10 as well.

- - are you also installing the LinuxMint system in UEFI mode,, since the existing win-10 is also in UEFI mode ?.
I'm trying to install in UEFI mode, and I do enter the Linux OS in UEFI mode.

The tutorial had me doing things I've already done, with no luck unfortunately.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ AggieWestside, .......
AggieWestside wrote:.
Please refer to ... https://triplescomputers.com/blog/uncat ... operation/ (solution-switch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation without the need to reinstall Win 10 in AHCI disk mode - then install Linux alongside Win 10)
http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter ... t/19659260

P S - Since end 2016, a few OEMs, eg Lenovo and Dell, have preinstalled Win 10 on some of their high-end ultrabooks in RAID disk mode using the proprietary Intel RST driver = the disk cannot be detected by the Linux Installer. In these cases, the ultrabooks have to be reset to AHCI disk mode for the installation of Linux, either as dual-boot or single-boot.
....... Even reinstalling Win 10 in RAID disk mode is a problem.
AggieWestside

Post by AggieWestside »

michael louwe wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:28 pm Please refer to ... https://triplescomputers.com/blog/uncat ... operation/ (solution-switch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation without the need to reinstall Win 10 in AHCI disk mode - then install Linux alongside Win 10)
http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter ... t/19659260

P S - Since end 2016, a few OEMs, eg Lenovo and Dell, have preinstalled Win 10 on some of their high-end ultrabooks in RAID disk mode using the proprietary Intel RST driver = the disk cannot be detected by the Linux Installer. In these cases, the ultrabooks have to be reset to AHCI disk mode for the installation of Linux, either as dual-boot or single-boot.
....... Even reinstalling Win 10 in RAID disk mode is a problem.
That worked! Thank you so much!

Return to “Installation & Boot”