Cloudbook

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
slamtry

Cloudbook

Post by slamtry »

I am a total newb. I have an Acer Cloudbook and it will not run decently in Windows 10. So I created a bootable USB stick, booted into Cinnamon Mint 18.3 and then installed it deleting Windows along the way. Now when I reboot the machine one of three things happens: 1) it boots to a blank screen and hangs 2) I get to what I think is called the Grub screen (it's a list of four options to select, the top one being Cinnamon Mint 18.3 I then hit enter and boot properly into Linux 3) I get to the grub screen but then get a bunch of stuff about a kernel panic, the main point of which seems to be that I should try booting "with the noapic option". I would like to try this latter. Can anyone tell me how to do it?

Dan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Cloudbook

Post by catweazel »

slamtry wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:42 am Cinnamon Mint 18.3
That might be the cause. Cinnamon is heavy on resources and might struggle under the light weight of the Celeron 1.6 GHz CPU. There are several things you can try.

1) See the section titled 'Solving freezes during the boot sequence'.

I know you're not getting actual freezes but the troubleshooting advice given there is relevant to your situation. Ignore the information about nVidia drivers and nouveau. You're interested in the nomodeset information.

2) Install Mint MATE instead of Cinnamon.

3) Install Mint xfce.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
slamtry

Post by slamtry »

I tried the nomodeset thing. Holding shift throughout the boot process did not bring up the screen shown in the video and I tried several times. Is it possible to do the same thing from within linux, i.e. once it is running, because I can get into it every second time or so?

What's the difference between Mate and xfce? I am currently downloading MATE and will try to install that if necessary.

What about doing what the thing suggests and somehow booting with no apic? Is that not worth trying? After all that is what the operating system is telling me is the problem.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

slamtry wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:11 am I tried the nomodeset thing. Holding shift throughout the boot process did not bring up the screen
Try Esc.
What's the difference between Mate and xfce? I am currently downloading MATE and will try to install that if necessary.
Mate looks similar to Cinnamon and xfce is a completely different DE.
What about doing what the thing suggests and somehow booting with no apic? Is that not worth trying? After all that is what the operating system is telling me is the problem.
There's no harm in trying.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
slamtry

Post by slamtry »

So would you know how I boot it "with the noapic option" or rather how I adjust the appropriate grub file so that it boots without apic automatically every time?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

slamtry wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:51 am So would you know how I boot it "with the noapic option" or rather how I adjust the appropriate grub file so that it boots without apic automatically every time?
It's exactly the same as the nomodeset option. The command goes on the same line.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Try F11 or F12,

I have two laptops that work with F11, and one that works with F12

I turn it on, and just hold down the key until it comes up to the boot menu
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:33 am Try F11 or F12,

I have two laptops that work with F11, and one that works with F12
They are BIOS boot keys, not grub keys.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

slamtry

Post by slamtry »

Thank you Michael. I will look at those pages.

Thank you Cateweazle. My problem is that holding the shift key down is not getting me to that page so I cannot make the necessary adjustments. Is there a precise time to start holding the shift key down? Should I do it from the second I turn the machine on or should I perhaps start holding it down when I see the four Grub menu options (the point at which I take the top, default one)?

Or is there another way to open and adjust the parameters in this file, one that I can access from within Mint? Because as I say, I can boot successfully about half the time.
slamtry

Post by slamtry »

I managed to add the noapic parameter and it seemed to help. I then tried to follow the instructions on the first of the pages suggested by Michael above to make the noapic option permanent, but when I in a terminal I typed "sudo gedit /etc/default/grub" and put in my password, I got the messaged "sudo: gedit: command not found". Now what? Is this file hiding from me or might it have another name or have I screwed up in some way?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

slamtry wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:25 pm I managed to add the noapic parameter and it seemed to help. I then tried to follow the instructions on the first of the pages suggested by Michael above to make the noapic option permanent, but when I in a terminal I typed "sudo gedit /etc/default/grub" and put in my password, I got the messaged "sudo: gedit: command not found". Now what? Is this file hiding from me or might it have another name or have I screwed up in some way?
Replace the word gedit with xed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

JerryF wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:45 pm
slamtry wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:25 pm I managed to add the noapic parameter and it seemed to help. I then tried to follow the instructions on the first of the pages suggested by Michael above to make the noapic option permanent, but when I in a terminal I typed "sudo gedit /etc/default/grub" and put in my password, I got the messaged "sudo: gedit: command not found". Now what? Is this file hiding from me or might it have another name or have I screwed up in some way?
Replace the word gedit with xed.
Actually, gksudo xed /etc/default/grub
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ slamtry, .......
slamtry wrote:.
. Fyi,

gedit = built-in Text Editor for LM 17.x.

xed = built-in Text Editor for LM 18.x. ... https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sarah_cin ... atsnew.php

I think Ubuntu 14.04 & 16.04 still use gedit as the built-in Text Editor.
slamtry

Post by slamtry »

And what is the precise instruction I need to run afterwards to update grub?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

slamtry wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:07 pm And what is the precise instruction I need to run afterwards to update grub?

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
slamtry

Post by slamtry »

Thanks guys, it seems to have retained the noapic instruction even after a reboot and seems to be booting into linux regularly. Now I just need to see if Cinnamon will run fast enough on this rather crippled machine or whether I need to load one of the leaner versions. Plus of course I have to learn to use Linux.

Return to “Installation & Boot”