Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
EfimPetelin
Level 1
Level 1

Can't repair grub error: no such device [uuid]

Post by EfimPetelin » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:14 am

Hello, everyone!

First of all, I have dual-boot system: Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit and Windows 7 Home Premium. I have old good EFI BIOS and use MBR. Each system resides on own hard drive and have their boot files on respect drives. I boot from linux drive to grub, then load necessary system. It worked for a good time until I have installed in my system new hard disk for backup operations. When I was done, I removed it, and my grub got broken: each time I boot, it says

Code: Select all

error: no such device: 971f726f-...
Okay. I thought it would be easy to fix, typed in grub rescue prompt:

set prefix=(hd2,msdos2)/boot/grub
set root=(hd2,msdos2)
insmod normal
normal
Then my grub appears and I can load any system. I loaded Linux Mint and tried to

sudo su
grub-install /dev/sdc
update-grub
This won't help. Then I tried boot-rescue - no success. The I had to remove grub at all, reinstalled it - this error still here. I looked for this unlucky uuid in grub config - there is no such uuid at all, it looks good, there are proper uuids and (hd2,msdos2) is there too. Why, for the God sake, it wishes my backup hdd back again?! :lol:
What can be done to get rid of it? It's painful to boot manually from grub rescue every time. :D
Thanks in advance!

Upd.
You know... I'm pretty stupid! :lol: Sometimes the best way to find a mistake - ask someone, then realise, where have you mistaken. :roll:
I believe that grub-install and update-grub solved my problem. But I messed with drives names: all this hd0 etc and sda etc confused me. And I installed grub on another hdd, than set in BIOS. Therefore broken grub still there, and working one now is on another hdd (I have 3 same 1Tb drives, even model names are equal). When I tried to load Windows from F8 boot menu, I accidential chose wrong drive and was very surprised to see my working grub! :lol:
blkid says my linux partitions are on sdc, GParted says they are on sdd, grub rescue doesn't know anything about sdX and names drives hdX and this names looks not to be equivalent to sdX. All this has confused me.

EfimPetelin
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't repair grub error: no such device [uuid]

Post by EfimPetelin » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:26 am

asinoro wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:37 am
Did you try boot repair?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
Yes, I tried this one too with no success, because, as I mentioned above, I have messed up with drives

asinoro
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Can't repair grub error: no such device [uuid]

Post by asinoro » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:38 am

EfimPetelin wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:26 am
asinoro wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:37 am
Did you try boot repair?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
Yes, I tried this one too with no success, because, as I mentioned above, I have messed up with drives
Can you post this command?

sudo parted -l ; lsblk --sort name --output name,label,partlabel,size,fstype,mountpoint,state ; blkid ; inxi -Fxxxz ; mokutil --sb-state

Return to “Installation & Boot”