Partition allocation for a new computer [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gemk65
Level 3
Level 3

Partition allocation for a new computer [SOLVED]

Post by gemk65 »

Hello

I plan to purchase a new computer with:
- SSD disk 512 GB
- RAM 8 GB

Regarding the partition size allocations:

1. Is 50 GB enough for a partition allocation for the Linux Mint 18.3 (Cinnamon) operation system, its apps, and its Home?
2. Is a SWAP partition of 8 GB the correct allocation size for this situation?

I plan to use the remaining partition (about 454 GB) for my files (text, data, media).

I do not plan space for TimeShift snapshots; I did not find them helpful. I just re-install Linux Mint from scratch in the event of a system collapse (an infrequent event for me). This is why I do not keep my data and media files in the Linux Home directories. I make a backup of my files on an external hard drive.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Partition allocation for a new computer

Post by catweazel »

gemk65 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:45 am Hello

I plan to purchase a new computer with:
- SSD disk 512 GB
- RAM 8 GB

Regarding the partition size allocations:

1. Is 50 GB enough for a partition allocation for the Linux Mint 18.3 (Cinnamon) operation system, its apps, and its Home?
2. Is a SWAP partition of 8 GB the correct allocation size for this situation?

I plan to use the remaining partition (about 454 GB) for my files (text, data, media).
I wouldn't do it that way, but that's me. If it were my system, I'd allow 32-38GB for root (/), that's the OS and DE. I would allocate all the remaining space less about 20% of the total drive capacity, less another 2-8GB for swap as /home. So the drive looks like this if you want 8GB swap:

32GB for root (/)
512GB - 32GB (/) - about 100GB (20%) - 8G (swap) = about 380GB for /home, where all your files will go, (text, data, media) as you put it.
8GB for swap
100GB unallocated at the end of the SSD.

That unallocated space is called overprovisioning. The SSD will see that unused space and use it to greatly increase the lifespan of the SSD.

Also, if you're going to invest in such a big SSD then you ought to consider also investing in a USB HDD to store backups on.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gemk65
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gemk65 »

Thank you so much, catweazel ! Your reply was very helpful. I did not know about the issue of Overprovisioning / Unallocated disk space. I will do as you suggested regarding this issue.

To follow up on an important point that you made: You mentioned a SWAP size of 2GB to 8GB. How do I know whether my SWAP size should be 2GB or 4GB or 6GB or 8GB (or some other number) ? What are the advantages and disadvantages? (For this question, let's assume that RAM=8GB).

Also: You mentioned that the Unallocated disk space for a 512 GB SSD should be about 20%, which comes to about 100 GB. So, just to make sure, if I decide to purchase my computer with an SSD of only 256 GB, then my Unallocated disk space should be 50 GB, yes?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gemk65 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:00 am Thank you so much, catweazel ! Your reply was very helpful. I did not know about the issue of Overprovisioning / Unallocated disk space. I will do as you suggested regarding this issue.

To follow up on an important point that you made: You mentioned a SWAP size of 2GB to 8GB. How do I know whether my SWAP size should be 2GB or 4GB or 6GB or 8GB (or some other number) ? What are the advantages and disadvantages? (For this question, let's assume that RAM=8GB).

Also: You mentioned that the Unallocated disk space for a 512 GB SSD should be about 20%, which comes to about 100 GB. So, just to make sure, if I decide to purchase my computer with an SSD of only 256 GB, then my Unallocated disk space should be 50 GB, yes?
If you plan to hibernate the machine then you'll need a fraction over 8GB of swap. Otherwise 2GB up should be ok for 8GB of RAM.

Yes to the 50GB question.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gemk65
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Partition allocation for a new computer [SOLVED]

Post by gemk65 »

Thank you again, catweazel. This topic is [SOLVED].

Return to “Installation & Boot”