Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
LateJunction
Level 3
Level 3

Bluetooth not available at dual boot screen

Post by LateJunction » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:03 am

Not sure if this should be in another category - plese advise.

I'm dual-booting Mint 18.3 and Win 10, and have just installed a Bluetooth keyboard (apparently by CaseFlex). Having got this kbd working in Mint (which it is NOT supported !) I am caught in a Catchh-22: there appears to be no Bluetooth driver loaded on my PC while I am still at the Grub load page. I cannot choose anything on that boot screen because there is no kbd support. Mint boots by default. How do I get out of this?

catweazel
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Bluetooth not available at dual boot screen

Post by catweazel » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:25 am

LateJunction wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:03 am
How do I get out of this?
It may be that you don't, without some work or hanging a small wired keyboard off the machine. At that stage of the boot process where you want to select another OS, your machine's BIOS is in control. Unless that BIOS explicitly sees the device as a keyboard, it will behave as if it doesn't have a keyboard. This is because it doesn't have a keyboard, only a bluetooth adapter.

So, apart from the first suggestion to hang a cheap wired keyboard off the machine, you can try the 'boot once' method, which is described here, but I think that might be more painful than getting a cheap wired keyboard.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

LateJunction
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Bluetooth not available at dual boot screen

Post by LateJunction » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:05 pm

Sadly I have to agree with you - not because I would prefer to disagree but because the only workable option is a wired (or USB) keyboard - which somewhat defeats the purpose of the BT kbd in the first place (save desk space by using a minimalist kbd). So I have decided to keep my current MS cordless keyboard plus a pair of batteries propped up beside the desk for use when I want to boot to windows or back again. In fact booting to windows is easy if I use 'grub-set=default' command, but it's certain death thereafter: I cannot edit grub from within windows, can I? So I still need my old full size MS keyboard.

It's a bit annoying that all the marketing blurb behind the product didn't tell me this, not did it tell me that the keyboard mapping in Windows (and Linux) is wrong on a number of keys. The fix in Windows is reasonably straightforward on Win 10, using Microsoft's Keyboard Layout Creation tool, but I cannot find anything quite so easy in Linux.

Return to “Installation & Boot”