Linux Mint stays the same "test" version after installation and won't boot without a USB stick

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
elsolse_8
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint stays the same "test" version after installation and won't boot without a USB stick

Post by elsolse_8 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:05 pm

Greetings to all! I'm very new to Linux so please bear with me. I have searched the forums but haven't found a problem / resolution that seems to fit my exact circumstances. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could give me some direction.

I downloaded Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon and created a bootable USB drive.

I booted from the USB drive and double clicked 'Install Linux Mint' on the Desktop.

During installation I chose to install Linux Mint alongside with Windows 10 on my laptop.

Installation completed and I was prompted to restart my computer.

I restarted, leaving my USB drive plugged in, and here the problems flood in.

First, my laptop just went straight to Windows 10 without a boot menu;

So I restarted the laptop and then tried to press f12 to enter Linux Mint 18.3 and the Desktop came up just as before.

I shutdown my laptop, unplugged my USB drive, then started my laptop and again it just went straight to Windows 10.

I plugged my USB drive back in and restarted the computer and still no boot menu so I had to enter Linux Mint by pressing f12 just like the installation process. And I tried this many times, every time Linux Mint comes up but it's always the 'test' version... any files I create are deleted when I restart my computer.

Any idea how I can get my installation of Linux Mint to boot up properly without the need for the USB drive and the ISO image?

Thanks

elsolse

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint stays the same "test" version after installation and won't boot without a USB stick

Post by JoeFootball » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:08 pm

elsolse_8 wrote:Any idea how I can get my installation of Linux Mint to boot up properly without the need for the USB drive and the ISO image?
Whenever you're booting with the USB drive connected and selecting it from the boot menu, you're going to get the live session (what you're calling "test") which is running off the USB drive, and not off your hard drive.

I'm going to guess this has something to do with UEFI. I'm not that familiar with doing installations with Windows 10 preserved, but I know that there are some ideas in the Linux Mint Installation Guide.

EDIT: More info in this tutorial.

Joe

DAMIEN1307
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint stays the same "test" version after installation and won't boot without a USB stick

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:25 pm

was fastboot/secureboot disabled before installation of linux mint, this could possibly be the problem if this was not done first in the bios...DAMIEN

elsolse_8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by elsolse_8 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:48 pm

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:25 pm
was fastboot/secureboot disabled before installation of linux mint, this could possibly be the problem if this was not done first in the bios...DAMIEN
Yes I am pretty sure I disabled fastboot/secureboot before the installation.

Actually, when I was going through the Linux Mint Installation Guide that Joe gave me, there is a "EFI boot order" option and I had a look at it, and I followed the steps, only to find that there is no Linux Mint on my boot options even though I literally installed it, but my USB stick is on the list. I am really upset and don't know what to do...

elsolse_8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by elsolse_8 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:50 pm

JoeFootball wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:08 pm
elsolse_8 wrote:Any idea how I can get my installation of Linux Mint to boot up properly without the need for the USB drive and the ISO image?
Whenever you're booting with the USB drive connected and selecting it from the boot menu, you're going to get the live session (what you're calling "test") which is running off the USB drive, and not off your hard drive.

I'm going to guess this has something to do with UEFI. I'm not that familiar with doing installations with Windows 10 preserved, but I know that there are some ideas in the Linux Mint Installation Guide.

EDIT: More info in this tutorial.

Joe
Thank you for your help Joe! Although I could't find a proper solution on it. But I will keep trying.

elsolse

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JoeFootball » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:11 pm

elsolse_8 wrote:Although I could't find a proper solution on it. But I will keep trying.
Idea: In the tutorial above, about a quarter way down, look for VERY IMPORTANT STEP!!!, and make sure you're doing that in your install process. :)

Joe

elsolse_8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by elsolse_8 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:17 pm

JoeFootball wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:11 pm
elsolse_8 wrote:Although I could't find a proper solution on it. But I will keep trying.
Idea: In the tutorial above, about a quarter way down, look for VERY IMPORTANT STEP!!!, and make sure you're doing that in your install process. :)

Joe
Yes, I too, paid extra attention on that notice and am now trying to reinstall Linux Mint again, hopefully I was mistaken on that one.

elsolse

DAMIEN1307
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:44 pm

i noticed that you said..."I restarted, leaving my USB drive plugged in"...there would have been a prompt before reboot that would have instructed you to unplug...you stated that you left it plugged in...this is probably the problem...DAMIEN

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JoeFootball » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:16 am

DAMIEN1307 wrote:...this is probably the problem...
Yes, in part, but the OP additionally said...
elsolse_8 wrote:I shutdown my laptop, unplugged my USB drive, then started my laptop and again it just went straight to Windows 10.
...so something else is at play too.

Joe

Return to “Installation & Boot”