[SOLVED] USB 3.0s not recognized (kernel update the culpit?)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
Sivard
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:57 pm

[SOLVED] USB 3.0s not recognized (kernel update the culpit?)

Post by Sivard » Wed May 02, 2018 8:28 pm

Last night I tried to plug in a USB flash drive to transfer some files to another PC. The drive lit up with power, but linux did not recognize the drive. This morning I also could not get it to recognize my phone to transfer files.

I have used these USB3 ports & devices many times, the only thing that has changed that I can think of is that I updated the kernel a few days ago in the update manager.

The "lsusb" command shows no 3.0 in the list and I have tried updating Grub by adding the line "iommu=soft" as others have suggested, but to no success.

Any ideas?
Last edited by Sivard on Tue May 15, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4940
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:45 pm
Location: Norfolk UK

Re: USB 3.0s not recognized (kernel update the culpit?)

Post by Mute Ant » Wed May 02, 2018 10:00 pm

If you can, try downgrading the connection by using a USB2 extender cable or USB2 hub. They are good for 60MB/s, almost certainly faster than the hardware you are connecting, or at least fast enough to get the job done in a reasonable time.
Tommy reports the scan of zircon and opal storage is complete. When shall we go today?

Sivard
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:57 pm

Re: USB 3.0s not recognized (kernel update the culpit?)

Post by Sivard » Thu May 03, 2018 8:28 am

Mute Ant wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:00 pm
If you can, try downgrading the connection by using a USB2 extender cable or USB2 hub. They are good for 60MB/s, almost certainly faster than the hardware you are connecting, or at least fast enough to get the job done in a reasonable time.
Phone, sandisk USB drive and I do back-ups on HD enclosures of 500GB twice a month. I may have to switch distro's as this worked just fine, at the very least, prior to the kernel upgrade (unconfirmed as the problem).

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4940
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:45 pm
Location: Norfolk UK

Re: USB 3.0s not recognized (kernel update the culpit?)

Post by Mute Ant » Thu May 03, 2018 9:06 am

"...switch distros..." Well yes, or don't update core components of a distro that's working. If it was a kernel change that disabled your USB3, you can boot using the previous kernel, just to investigate.

The grml-rescueboot package allows you to test-drive a live session as a guest of an installed OS, using an unmodified ISO in the /boot/grml/ folder. Mint is not using the very latest software. A test-drive of Ubuntu1804LTS (Mint19) might have fixed some obscure driver wobbly in Ubuntu1604LTS (Mint18) or Ubuntu1404LTS (Mint17).

o If you are using Mint, you can wind-back the automatic Mint Update preferences so that you choose packages, one at a time, until the bad-boy can be blacklisted. Live Session can help there.

o You have not posted anything about your hardware, or the OS which you updated.
Tommy reports the scan of zircon and opal storage is complete. When shall we go today?

Sivard
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:57 pm

Re: USB 3.0s not recognized (kernel update the culpit?)

Post by Sivard » Fri May 04, 2018 9:54 am

Mute Ant wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:06 am
"...switch distros..." Well yes, or don't update core components of a distro that's working. If it was a kernel change that disabled your USB3, you can boot using the previous kernel, just to investigate.

The grml-rescueboot package allows you to test-drive a live session as a guest of an installed OS, using an unmodified ISO in the /boot/grml/ folder. Mint is not using the very latest software. A test-drive of Ubuntu1804LTS (Mint19) might have fixed some obscure driver wobbly in Ubuntu1604LTS (Mint18) or Ubuntu1404LTS (Mint17).

o If you are using Mint, you can wind-back the automatic Mint Update preferences so that you choose packages, one at a time, until the bad-boy can be blacklisted. Live Session can help there.

o You have not posted anything about your hardware, or the OS which you updated.
Thanks for the replies.

Linux Mint 18.1 CInnamon 64-bit
AMD Phenom II X6 Processor
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Motherboard

If it takes too long to figure out how to roll-back updates I'll probably test-drive the latest Mint with the install disc/drive to see if it works, then start anew.

Sivard
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:57 pm

Re: USB 3.0s not recognized (kernel update the culpit?)

Post by Sivard » Tue May 15, 2018 10:19 am

I'm not sure why this would work, but today I shut my PC down all the way, unplugged the power cord, pressed the power button (it blinked), then plugged the power cord back in and booted up.

USB3 now works on all ports.

User avatar
JerryF
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3407
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:23 pm
Location: Rhode Island, USA

Re: USB 3.0s not recognized (kernel update the culpit?)

Post by JerryF » Tue May 15, 2018 1:00 pm

Great!

When you have the chance, please edit your original post and put [SOLVED] at the beginning of the Subject: line. It really helps others.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

Sivard
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:57 pm

Re: USB 3.0s not recognized (kernel update the culpit?)

Post by Sivard » Tue May 15, 2018 1:06 pm

JerryF wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:00 pm
Great!

When you have the chance, please edit your original post and put [SOLVED] at the beginning of the Subject: line. It really helps others.
Got it, hopefully it stays solved.

Post Reply

Return to “Installation & Boot”