ASUS mini ... is Mint installation possible ???

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
skydance4justice
Level 2
Level 2

ASUS mini ... is Mint installation possible ???

Post by skydance4justice »

Hi there,
Just got THIS mini ASUS and wondering if Linux Mint can be installed on it ?
on an SD card OR directly in THIS system with a partition ... ?
this is the exact model from Costco :
https://www.costco.ca/ASUS-W202NA-QN1-C ... 77062.html
and
this is the manual :
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/E20 ... 01NA_C.pdf

It seems that Windows 10 already takes up MAJORITY of the space ...
if this thing is a piece of CRAP that I cannot shrink Windows to make more space,
I will RETURN it for refund ...
cause I'm already unhappy without a backlit keyboard for the dark...

Time runs out QUICK for these refunds, so I hope I can get a response in time.
Thanks very much in advance

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: ASUS mini ... is Mint installation possible ???

Post by deepakdeshp »

The Mint hardware database, for this model and future purchases, if any.
https://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/search
Best way is install Mint and test drive it. As most of the hardware supports Mint.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ infinaurakle, .......
infinaurakle wrote:.
Better for you to get a budget computer with a 500GB HDD, instead of the limited and not-very-durable 64GB eMMC Flash-drive.

According to this link ... viewtopic.php?t=258658 , there should be no problem installing LM 18.3 on your Asus computer.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

For some guidance on dual-booting LM alongside Win 10/8.1 in UEFI and GPT-disk mode,(eg 40GB for Win 10 and 20GB for LM) please refer to .......
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126 (Tutorial for dual-booting UEFI computers)
http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ct/windows
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... nt-install
https://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-m ... uefi-mode/ (note step 17 - if Win 8.x/10 could not boot, <sudo update-grub>)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning Tutorial for Legacy BIOS mode and MBR/ms-dos disks)[use as a guide]

Ensure that Secure Boot, Fast Boot and CSM(or Legacy BIOS) are disabled in BIOS setup, Fast Startup is disabled in Win 10/8.1(>Control Panel >Power options), the Live LM media(DVD or USB-stick) is booted in UEFI mode in BIOS setup.

To dual-boot, you only need to pre-shrink the Windows partition if you intend to use the manual "Something else" install method, ie no need to do so if you intend to use the automatic "install LM alongside Windows Boot Manager" method, which will be followed by the LM Installer auto-partitioning the disk and auto-installing the Linux Grub bootloader onto the Windows ESP. Only a root / and swap partition will be auto-created with a total default size of about 20GB. The user will be given the option to increase this default size by moving a slider on the colored Partition table, subject to the maximum available free space in the Windows partition.

For the "Something else" install method, manually partition the pre-shrunk free space accordingly, eg 50GB for /, 1.5X RAM size for Swap(at the end of this space) and 200GB for Home; and ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the Windows EFI System Partition(= ESP = fat32/about 104MB/mount point is /boot/efi) which is usually dev/sda1.

P S - Certain OEM Win 8.x/10 computers, eg Acer, Asus and HP, have an obstructive or pro-M$ UEFI-BIOS setting for "select an UEFI file as trusted for executing",(= Linux cannot boot). For the fix, please refer to ...
https://itsfoss.com/no-bootable-device-found-ubuntu/
viewtopic.php?t=236560
skydance4justice
Level 2
Level 2

deepak ~
I just checked this link you posted : https://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/search
and it seems to list the model Asus X200CA for Rosa, but the model I have is not there for Mint...

michael ~
the reason I settled for a 64GB eMMC Flash-drive is because I'm looking for a screen
under 11.6 inches for small/lightweight travelling ...
I've looked EVERYWHERE for a NO-touch screen mini/tiny laptop like this, that I can use for practical
surfing, emailing, and light work on the go ... but have not found ANYthing that is fast enough,
that has a backlit keyboard, and that is not overpowered (most space taken by windows) ...

I wonder if I should just return it now and keep looking for something better/faster, that may
last longer under 11.6 inches ...

any suggestions ?

thank you both so very much for your responses ~:)~
much appreciated ~:D~

michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ infinaurakle, .......
Looks like nearly all new OEM Win 10 mobile netbooks under 14" in screen-size come with limited and non-removable or irreplaceable eMMC Flash-drives(32GB or 64GB) = Planned Obsolescence.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated".

Personally, I would go for a new OEM 14" laptop with 500GB HDD or 128GB SSD, eg ... https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 24G5U06953
skydance4justice
Level 2
Level 2

I really appreciate your feedback Michael ...
but unless an 11.6 inch comes out with a proper upgradable memory ...
I will have to wait for something much smaller and lightweight for my needs ~:(((~
perhaps the refurbished ones will get more affordable ...

*** Can you tell me whether it's possible to install Linux MINT on a small Macbook Air like THIS one with a partition ???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBook- ... 2125675080?

if that's the case and it WILL work, then I will wait until their prices for refurbished comes down ...
thanks again for your help
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ infinaurakle, .......
For the MacBook Air, try this link ... viewtopic.php?t=254886
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Hi infinaurakle,

You could install Mint onto your Asus mini, but with only 64 GB of eMMC storage having dual boot will be very tight with space availability for either OS.

One option is to create a Linux Mint Live USB flash drive with persistence (usually the most for persistence is 4 GB) and run Mint from that.
Another option is what I have. I did a full install of Mint onto a USB flash drive. It'll be just as having it installed onto a hard disk, eMMC, etc. The only caveat is that there is a lot of writing to the flash drive and can reduce its life expectancy.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI infinaurakle,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It looks to me like you can install Linux Mint on this. Because this has 2 USB v3.x ports, you can boot a live test drive version of Linux Mint on a USB stick to try it. You can also fully install Linux Mint to a USB stick.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
skydance4justice
Level 2
Level 2

thank you all so very much for your advice ...
I have NO idea how to install, so I would give this to a friend to do for me ...
but it's been 5 years now, and I LOVE my MINT so I cannot go backwards ...

because of all your wonderful feedback, I've found THIS model here :

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-ZenBook-UX21A/

it seems it has more space and more flexible for adding space ?
what do think of this one for Linux MINT ???

possible ?

thanks again everyone ~:D~
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ infinaurakle, .......
The Asus Zenbook is a good find.
skydance4justice
Level 2
Level 2

OK so I just exchanged it for THIS Asus Zenbook :

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-ZenBook-UX21A/

however, it has Windows 10 installed on it ...
and I've heard from many who have experience installing MINT, that Windows 10 is a major pain in the b--- for this, and requires a lot more time ...

is this true ?
regardless, from what I've read (requirements) it seems that it IS possible to install on this model... but since I have zero experience myself, I could be wrong ...
please let me know ~:)~

thanks in advance

michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ infinaurakle, .......
Please check the BIOS Setup in the Asus Zenbook UX21A whether it is Legacy BIOS or UEFI.?

For a dual-boot system on the internal hard-drive, Win 10's twice-a-year upgrades will bork the LM Grub bootloader = LM cannot be booted = requiring the reinstall of Grub ... https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/6 . Even Win 10 security updates may bork Grub.
....... To prevent this, it is better to install LM on an external USB HDD or Live USB with persistent storage, alongside Win 10 on the internal hard-drive. It is easier to do this on Legacy BIOS than more modern UEFI computers. ...
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295 (UEFI Installing - Tips; see Two Drives Install) [For installing Linux on an external USB hard-drive, a workaround is to unplug the Win 8.x/10 internal hard-drive and install LM on the external USB hard-drive = plug in the external USB hard-drive only when you want to boot LM. This method may be used for installing LM on a 2nd internal hard-drive.]
http://linuxbsdos.com/2013/10/23/how-to ... ard-drive/ (how-to-install-ubuntu-13-10-on-an-external-hard-drive/)
skydance4justice
Level 2
Level 2

would it be easier to somehow find a way to downgrade back DOWN to Windows 7 or 8 before installing LM ???
is that even possible ?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

infinaurakle wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:57 am would it be easier to somehow find a way to downgrade back DOWN to Windows 7 or 8 before installing LM ???
is that even possible ?
That may not be possible if you upgraded your Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10, especially if it's an OEM license.

In addition, do you really want to downgrade to a Windows that will have end of support in 2 or 5 years (7 or 8.1)?
Capture.JPG
Edit: With the specs of the Asus ZenBook, a good option would be to install only Linux on the ZenBook and use a virtual machine for Windows. I have this setup on my HP EliteBook 8460p with Oracle VirtuaBox and Windows 10 runs fine in a virtual machine. Some have had success using their Windows 10 license in a virtual machine, but I didn't. I had to use my other computer's 8.1 license, installed 8.1 in a virtual machine, and then upgrade to 10. No worries about 10 borking the boot of the laptop.
skydance4justice
Level 2
Level 2

thank you so much Jerry and everyone for all your great advice ~ღ~
I finally got it to a friend who's going to help with getting LM on this Zenbook...

and leaving this topic open in case of any further questions or issues ...
until it works ~;D~

updates coming soon ...
much appreciated ღ~

Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

This Asus is similar. I installed LM 18.3 Cinnamon 64 in it with the 320 GB HDD. I found it to ban e a little sluggish when typing The space bar took twice as long as the rest of the keys to register. I had to fight with the bios for about 5 trys before the bios would boot from the HDD. It recognized an external DVD with a live disk (iso) and loaded the OS. As I said after working on the bios for 5 times it finally recognized the HDD. I replaced the HDD with a smaller SSD from another laptop and it took. The space problem was solved. 99% of my work is with flash drive storage so the smaller size is really not an issue.

Code: Select all

tom@tom-Compaq-6510b-A2 ~ $ inxi -Fxzd
System:    Host: tom-Compaq-6510b-A2 Kernel: 4.13.0-41-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: X401U v: 1.0
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X401U v: 1.0
           Bios: American Megatrends v: X401U.204 date: 05/08/2012
CPU:       Dual core AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 5590
           clock speeds: max: 1400 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 777 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 7310]
           bus-ID: 00:01.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@59.99hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD PALM (DRM 2.50.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Wrestler HDMI Audio
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-41-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 06:00.0
           IF: enp6s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Ralink RT5390 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
           driver: rt2800pci v: 2.3.0 bus-ID: 07:00.0
           IF: wlp7s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 63.9GB (22.0% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Patriot_PS size: 63.9GB
           Optical: No optical drives detected.
Partition: ID-1: / size: 57G used: 12G (23%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
           ID-2: /boot size: 472M used: 233M (52%) fs: ext2 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 1.07GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 60.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 61.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 3300
Info:      Processes: 174 Uptime: 31 min Memory: 1058.2/3550.7MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
tom@tom-Compaq-6510b-A2 ~ $ 
BTW the system is a Scraptop that windows killed. $24US
skydance4justice
Level 2
Level 2

thanks very much Tom ...

unfortunately I'm not experienced enough to do this on my own, so please forgive my newbie language in advance :)

but the friend who is helping me is currently stuck in the web of Windows 10... and the pain that it is to get the partition to work ...

he already shrunk the space Windows takes as much as possible, and gave up trying to downgrade in the end ... so we decided to keep Windows 10 ...

then he installed Mint, but apparently cannot get the partition to work, and it's been auto-booting into Windows instead ...
I don't know enough about this to be more specific, but if anyone has any tricks for this, I can pass them on to my helper ... and would be most grateful :D

thanks very much in advance

skydance4justice
Level 2
Level 2

here is a screen shot (attached) of what he sent me
thanks again ~:D~
skydance4justice
Level 2
Level 2

this is the error

Return to “Installation & Boot”