That Hibernation Problem Again (Laptop)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ian J.
Level 1
Level 1

That Hibernation Problem Again (Laptop)

Post by Ian J. »

Hi all,

OK so I have a hibernation problem...

I have a laptop that I installed Linux Mint 18.2 on last year (2017) and after making sure the Swap volume was large enough Hibernation worked on it most times (it failed on the recent 4.13.x kernels, but was ok on 4.10.0-42).

So, after some issues with usb passthrough on VirtualBox failing after recent patches (possibly to do with Spectre/Meltdown) I decided to upgrade to 18.3. I did a clean install rather than an inplace upgrade.

Everything else that I needed to work (except the usb passthrough) is fine, but the one outstanding issue is hibernation. I cannot get it to succeed. I click the Hibernate button in Cinnamon and it tries to hibernate, but doesn't seem to actually save anything to disk. Restarts just bring up the usual start screen as if it had been shut down normally. I've tried different kernels; I've edited /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume to change the UUID for the swap to make it consistent, and done the same with grub. I've edited /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla to add extra info to the Action. None of this works.

Can anyone guide me through steps to verify I've covered everything needed to hibernate, 'cause it looks like I've missed something somewhere.

PC: Acer Laptop
Platform: TravelMate P259-G2-M
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz
Memory: 32GiB
SSD: Samsung SSD 850, 232GiB (250GB), LVM, 195GiB root / 36.9GiB swap
Graphics: Intel (built in to CPU)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ian J.
Level 1
Level 1

Re: That Hibernation Problem Again (Laptop)

Post by Ian J. »

OK, so having had no response, I decided to try a fresh install, only this time not with LVM. Once I had disabled safeboot, switched to kernel 4.10.0.42 and slightly expanded the swap partition, hibernation worked fine. So it would appear that Mint can't handle hibernation on swap volume on LVM.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

18.3 Cinnamon will not work with Sleep, Hibernate, Suspend on a lot of hardware.
My ASUS is proof of that.

Go to Power Settings and make every thing NEVER, and make Closed Lid = NOTHING.

that will resolve the issue.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
mideal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mideal »

Thanks for your post, it made me try again if hibernation while using ecryptfs for /home works now (currently version 4.15.0-15) and yes, it does!
Yoga 910 16GB/2TB running Mint 20.3 Cinnamon 64Bit

Return to “Installation & Boot”