Not being able to boot from a Windows stick [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mihaibadea

Not being able to boot from a Windows stick [SOLVED]

Post by mihaibadea »

Hi,

Is there any reason why a laptop with Linux Mint 18.3 would boot from a Linux distribution bootable USB stick, but not from a Windows 7 bootable USB stick. Both were made in Linux Mint 18.3. The Windows 7 stick is simply ignored.

Thanks,

Mihai
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
polol

Re: Not being able to boot from a Windows stick

Post by polol »

Hi Mihai,

for what i know you can only make Linux USB sticks with USB Image Writer (i guess u used that 1). To make a Windows USB-stick you need a Windows-system and a program called rufus.exe.
Sir Charles

Re: Not being able to boot from a Windows stick

Post by Sir Charles »

WoeUSB lets you create bootable USB of most modern Windows releases, including: Windows Vista, Windows 7, Window 8, Windows 10. The tool supports all languages and all versions of Windows, including pro, home, N, 32-bit, etc, and will work with both ‘legacy’ and ‘UEFI’ bootmodes.
How to Create a Bootable Windows 10 USB on Ubuntu
A forum search gives: search.php?keywords=woeusb

Hope this helps.
mihaibadea

Re: Not being able to boot from a Windows stick [SOLVED]

Post by mihaibadea »

Thanks, polol and Marziano.

WoeUSB did the trick. A bit surprising, since I had already used it (after Mint default tool and UNetbootin hadn't been very useful) and it hadn't made a difference. There are a few variables that were different (version of Windows, possibly a different stick), but I guess it's no use trying to split hairs. I'm so glad it works! Marziano, if you ever come to Luxembourg, I owe you a beer!
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

:D it worked out.
I might very well show up in Luxembourg, you'll never know!
Thanks for the offer!
Cheers
TheDarkNightOfWinter

Post by TheDarkNightOfWinter »

Hi Marziano,
I had a newbie question about WoeUSB. Should I ask it here or somewhere else?
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Hi TheDarkNightOfWinter,

Since this thread is already marked as solved, it might be better to create a new thread to draw attention to your own question. Maybe under Software and Application.

Cheers

Return to “Installation & Boot”