Problem console recovery mode

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
inanox

Problem console recovery mode

Post by inanox »

Hello,
I had a problem, modifying a line / etc / fstab I made a mistake and now my linux does not start. I try to modify it using the recovery mode but I only have access as read, not write.
I would like to know if there is any way to modify that line of code with write permissions from the grub recovery mode.

Also, I want to know if is possible save in another device the data of my sdd disk.

please help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Problem console recovery mode

Post by jimallyn »

inanox wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:20 pm I would like to know if there is any way to modify that line of code with write permissions from the grub recovery mode.
I would think starting the editor with sudo would do it. If not, you can do it from your install DVD or USB stick.
inanox wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:20 pmAlso, I want to know if is possible save in another device the data of my sdd disk.
Can't imagine why not.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

inanox wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:20 pm I try to modify it using the recovery mode but I only have access as read, not write.
In the recovery mode, drop to the root prompt and run

Code: Select all

mount -o remount,rw /
... and if you want edit /etc/fstab, it goes

nano /etc/fstab
... saving and quitting
Ctrl o
Ctrl x
... and in the end sync files

sync
reboot
inanox

Post by inanox »

administrollaattori wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:32 am
inanox wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:20 pm I try to modify it using the recovery mode but I only have access as read, not write.
In the recovery mode, drop to the root prompt and run

mount -o remount,rw /
... and if you want edit /etc/fstab, it goes

nano /etc/fstab
... saving and quitting
Ctrl o
Ctrl x
... and in the end sync files

sync
reboot
Those commant not found. I solved that install ubuntu on liveUSB and solved problems.

Thanks
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

inanox wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 11:00 am Those commant not found.
Really? I do not believe.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

"... any way to modify that line of code with write permissions from the grub recovery mode..." No, you have to load a Linux and a GNU because GRUB recovery mode does not have the commands you need.

Return to “Installation & Boot”