Cannot login on fresh install of Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" - Xfce (64-bit)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
3guesses

Cannot login on fresh install of Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" - Xfce (64-bit)

Post by 3guesses »

Hi,

I have installed Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" - Xfce (64-bit) on my laptop. I have done so twice. Each time at the end of the installation it won't let me login - it says the password is invalid. I have been trying out several distros recently and always specify the same username and password combination during the installation processes - in other words I am pretty damned sure it is the exact password I specified for my user during the installation process of Mint, so what's going on???

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Cannot login on fresh install of Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" - Xfce (64-bit)

Post by MrEen »

I am guessing you didn't reboot, therefore you're still in Live mode.

Username=mint
Password= (nothing, leave blank, just hit Enter)
3guesses

Post by 3guesses »

OK, that would make sense. That's not exactly obvious! I don't recall any of the installation instructions mentioning this. I ended up rebooting (both times), so I'm not sure what state the installation was left in - I'll try booting it again and see.
3guesses

Post by 3guesses »

Yes, everything seems to be fine now that I've tried booting the installation. I still find it bizarre that the user should be presented with a login box at the end of the installation process that has nothin to do whatsoever with the installation, and with no instructions on what to do in that situation. I've not encountered anything like it in the countless other distros I've installed over the years.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

YES - it is bizarre that the user should be presented with a login box at the end of the installation process,,
as there actually should be an Message that says to "Remove the Installation Media" and then hit the Enter Key.
- which then causes the machine to start it's reboot sequence. .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
wh7qq
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wh7qq »

I distinctly recall seeing the box that told me that I could continue in live mode but all changes would be lost unless I rebooted into the installation. I very recently did two identical installs of 18.3 Sylvia Xfce (64K) on new Asrock j3455-itx boards and it was trivially easy. I suppose you could make it more prominent but it very definitely is there. I think the OP just missed seeing it.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pierre wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:00 am YES - it is bizarre
Perhaps not. It sounds like the lock screen got activated during the install after a period of time with no activity.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Yes - - you sure can continue with the live.linuxmint.media - - after the actual installation does finish.
and the screen_saver will cut-in after Just Two Minutes of inactivity - - that's the default setting,
which IMHO is way too low.
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
3guesses

Post by 3guesses »

wh7qq wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:21 pm I distinctly recall seeing the box that told me that I could continue in live mode but all changes would be lost unless I rebooted into the installation. I very recently did two identical installs of 18.3 Sylvia Xfce (64K) on new Asrock j3455-itx boards and it was trivially easy. I suppose you could make it more prominent but it very definitely is there. I think the OP just missed seeing it.
OK, well I never saw that message box. I did just set the installer going and left it to do its thing so it might have come and gone.
3guesses

Post by 3guesses »

catweazel wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:23 pm
Pierre wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:00 am YES - it is bizarre
Perhaps not. It sounds like the lock screen got activated during the install after a period of time with no activity.
Why would the lock screen cut in DURING the installation? I don' really see the logic behind that?
3guesses

Post by 3guesses »

Pierre wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:22 am Yes - - you sure can continue with the live.linuxmint.media - - after the actual installation does finish.
and the screen_saver will cut-in after Just Two Minutes of inactivity - - that's the default setting,
which IMHO is way too low.
:(
A 2-minute delay before the lock screen kicks in sounds fine to me, but my issue is why the installer automatically boots into the live CD at the end of the intallation without any interaction (warning/approval) with the user? That is much more the root of the problem, IMHO.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it doesn't do that:
at the end of the Installation, you are then asked, whether to boot the New System ( the default )
OR whether to stay in the Live.LinuxMint system & so continue to use it.
- it then does warn you, that by continuing with the Live.LinuxMint system - that nothing that you do or create - is saved.
so, in continuing to use the Live.LinuxMint system, and if you then stopped using it for over Two Minutes,
then the screen_saver will kick in & it;s quite easy to lock yourself out of the Live.LinuxMint system , . .
- even though the UserName & Pwd are a known entity.
:?
wh7qq
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wh7qq »

3guesses wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:51 am my issue is why the installer automatically boots into the live CD at the end of the intallation without any interaction (warning/approval) with the user? That is much more the root of the problem, IMHO.
The installer is simply a program in the live environment and it finishes, leaving the live environment still running. The installer does not "boot" into anything. It does give a warning but no approval is required because it takes no further action on its own. I cannot see any problem with that...IMHO.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

3guesses wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:47 am Why would the lock screen cut in DURING the installation? I don' really see the logic behind that?
Well, it does.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Installation & Boot”