Dual boot install of Mint xfce 18.3 with Win 8.1

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Dual boot install of Mint xfce 18.3 with Win 8.1

Post by oliverjames »

I've installed Mint alongside Windows on a friend's laptop. Everything works perfectly but I notice that when Mint boots there's a lot of audible hard disk activity that is not present when Windows 8.1 boots. Does anyone have an idea why that might be so, and suggest a fix?

The laptop is a Lenovo with Intel i3 4010U 1.6 Ghz CPU, & 4 Gbyte RAM, swappiness set to 10.

For information, the boot/shutdown time comparison is as follows:
Win 8.1 - 51s/11s
Mint xfce 18.3 - 50s/4s

Battery lifetimes are comparable between the two OSs.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Dual boot install of Mint xfce 18.3 with Win 8.1

Post by kukamuumuka »

Did you give enough room for Mint?

Code: Select all

inxi -po
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

administrollaattori wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:03 pm Did you give enough room for Mint?

Code: Select all

inxi -po
I'm not logged on on that machine but yes, about 120 Gbytes.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

oliverjames wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:47 am... when Mint boots there's a lot of audible hard disk activity ...
Frankly, I'd be more worried about that. Suggests a drive about to fail. Have you checked the SMART data? Key stuff available in Disks, more with smartmontools.

Also, does the machine eventually settle down and stop spinning the drive once fully booted? Mine does (though that's Mate, not XFCE).
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

pbear wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:06 pm
oliverjames wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:47 am... when Mint boots there's a lot of audible hard disk activity ...
Frankly, I'd be more worried about that. Suggests a drive about to fail. Have you checked the SMART data? Key stuff available in Disks, more with smartmontools.

Also, does the machine eventually settle down and stop spinning the drive once fully booted? Mine does (though that's Mate, not XFCE).
Yes, I have checked the SMART settings. The disk is fine and the laptop is new. The machine does settle down. It's simply curious that it makes more disk noise booting under Linux. In addition loading Firefox under Linux also creates more disk activity than when loading Firefox with the same add-ons under Windows.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

You're missing the point. That you can hear the drive is a red flag, regardless of age. Also, rather odd for an 8.1 laptop to be new, as 10 has been standard for almost three years. Anyhoo, sorry to have wasted your time. Won't happen again.
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

pbear wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:04 pm You're missing the point. That you can hear the drive is a red flag, regardless of age. Also, rather odd for an 8.1 laptop to be new, as 10 has been standard for almost three years. Anyhoo, sorry to have wasted your time. Won't happen again.
You could be right about the disk. I attach the SMART test data.
SMART-data_2.png
SMART-data_1.png

The disk appears to have undergone 5 significant shocks with a lot of read and seek errors. If the owner likes Mint I'll suggest she allows me to upgrade her machine with an SSD.

The laptop was bought by an elderly lady who then lost her Windows password and was unable to use it. I solved that problem for her but then thought to let her try Linux, which doesn't constantly pester the user with notifications and demands to buy anti-virus upgrades and the like.

I'm still curious as to why I hear a lot of disk activity with Mint but not with Win 8.1.

Return to “Installation & Boot”