/boot partition

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alex-n3050

/boot partition

Post by alex-n3050 »

Is it recommended to allocate /boot mount point to a separate partition? What type of file system is recommended for it? FAT? NTFS? EXT2? EXT4?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sir Charles

Re: /boot partition

Post by Sir Charles »

If you choose to encrypt the whole disk, then you will need a separate boot partition, which if I am not mistaken, will be created by the installer itself. Otherwise, it will be perfectly fine to have boot directory within root partition, that is: no need for a separate partition.
alex-n3050

Post by alex-n3050 »

In this case I will have only one root partition on my disk? Does this mean that in this case you can do without LVM?
During the Linuxmint installation process, the default installer always creates LVM or not? In this case, will only one root partition be created?
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shawnhcorey »

You should use ext4 for all your Linux partitions.

I never heard of a separate /boot being good practice but a separate /home is. When /home is separate, you can re-install Linux without losing your data.
Don't stop where the ink does.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

alex-n3050 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:29 am In this case I will have only one root partition on my disk? Does this mean that in this case you can do without LVM?
During the Linuxmint installation process, the default installer always creates LVM or not? In this case, will only one root partition be created?
The default installer does not create LVM by default.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

shawnhcorey wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:43 am I never heard of a separate /boot being good practice but a separate /home is. When /home is separate, you can re-install Linux without losing your data.
Long time ago there was a bios-limit (8 GB) for the bootable partition, so a separate /boot was crucial if the disk was big.
https://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/Large-Disk-4.html
http://linux-sxs.org/administration/limits.html
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

alex-n3050 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:29 amIn this case I will have only one root partition on my disk?
That's works nicely. Adding a "data" partition later is easy, and better than having a separate /home.
I've never had the installer create LVM, and you can tell the installer whether or not to make separate /boot and /home partitions ("something else" = you control everything), though, IIRC, "use the whole disk" and "install alongside" make one linux partition (plus a swap partition).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

LVM is mostly used for complicated setups that might include RAID. LVM of course has its place, but for a usual setup, it's overkill.

Return to “Installation & Boot”