[Solved] "The 'grub-efi-amd64-signed package' failed to install into /target/."

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LinuxMintNewbGuy

[Solved] "The 'grub-efi-amd64-signed package' failed to install into /target/."

Post by LinuxMintNewbGuy »

I found this other post on here: viewtopic.php?t=241379 but in the end I'm still getting this error. I tried with a 500mb unallocated partition, I tried with wifi on and wifi off (I'm finding a lot of contradictory info on that). I'm trying to install off of a Linux Live USB so it's probably 18.3 but I'm not 100% sure how to confirm that from a live USB.

Any suggestions are welcome!!

I'm installing this on an Asus c202sa Chromebook with a 16GB eMMC and a 4GB SD card for the home folder.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: "The 'grub-efi-amd64-signed package' failed to install into /target/."

Post by jimallyn »

You will want to allocate at least 10 GB to install Mint. 500 MB is not going to do it.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
LinuxMintNewbGuy

Yeah I'm using about 11gb. I saw a blog where they said adding an unallocated partition would help somehow. It didn't. Also trying with/without wifi ended up with the same result, which I also saw suggested in a few different places. Some said you need it on, others said off, either doesn't make a difference in my case.

So I was doing 4gb swap, 500mb unallocated, 300mb and 20mb for other things that I'm not too sure what they are (found them on a link that I found in that forum post in my OP). And the rest of my 16gb eMMC was my root aka "/". My home folder was then being added to a 4gb sd card, just to see if this would work. If it does I'll be buying something decent like 32GB or 64GB for some on board storage, but I've got a NAS in the works right now (which I'm also planning on running Linux mint on) so I don't need too much internal storage.
LinuxMintNewbGuy

I was adding a BIOS partition when I needed a UEFI partition. I think it installed properly now but I still can't boot up. I think it's an issue with SeaBIOS but I can't figure it out. Changed around the boot options and set eMMC first but it still won't work for me.

Not sure how to mark this solved but it's probably maybe solved.

Return to “Installation & Boot”