Boot hang after 17.3 update!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
djamesp
Level 1
Level 1

Boot hang after 17.3 update!

Post by djamesp »

I have not updated mint since last fall for various reasons. I am running 17.3 Cinnamon. I avoid release updates because of various backward compatibility problems with matlab.

Today I did a system update (of packages, not to a new version of mint). It is now badly borked.

After the update it now will not boot. This is a dual-boot machine (Win7 & mint). After I select mint on the grub menu, the machine hangs forever with a spinning wheel. Problems staring X, maybe?

I have tried booting into the "recovery" version of mint offered by grub, but I am not very familiar with it, and had no success. On the recovery menu I have tried the "dpkg" option, but this (oddly, to me) runs fsck and then just hangs for hours. Why would selecting "dpkg" run fsck? I have done this several times, and that's what it does.

So maybe there is a problem starting the x server. Is there a way to boot directly to a console WITHOUT at boot time, without being able to edit system files etc.? Since I obviously cannot easily edit system files. Also, trying the keystrokes that normally flip you into a console don't work while the system is hanging with the spinning wheel thingy.

I also can't really report much about my installation of mint, since, er, it hangs on boot.

I appreciate that I can just boot the latest mint from a usb drive and start from scratch, but holy cow - I have a lot of software installed on the broken system. My data is backed up, but still...this is two days of work to reinstall stuff.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
djamesp
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Boot hang after 17.3 update!

Post by djamesp »

My bad. I was using the wrong key sequence to get a virtual console. So now I can log in to a console and thus the problem is with X. I will look on that forum to see how to debug X problems from command line.

Return to “Installation & Boot”