Dual boot: Install Windows 10 from Linux Mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linuxmint

Dual boot: Install Windows 10 from Linux Mint

Post by linuxmint »

Hi everyone. I have a lenovo windows 8 pc. Because it had many problems i had format and install windows10. Then i dual boot linux mint 18.3 cinnamon. So i had win10 and linux mint. The problem is after an update windows10 crashed but when the pc starts, i choose to log in linux which works fine. So i would like to know if i can keep linux as they are and format only windows10. I read that if i try to format windows 10 while keeping linux i may run to log in issues and i may not be able to log in in any OS. Does anyone know if this is true and if i should better erase both of them and install windows and after that linux?

I am new to this forum and i hope i haven't broke any rule.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Dual boot: Install Windows 10 from Linux Mint

Post by fabien85 »

You can use gparted in Linux to reformat the window partitions (as ntfs), then reinstall windows there.
The only thing is that you will boot straight into windows afterwards, because it will have taken over the bootloading. This can be fixed by reinstalling Linux's bootloader : grub. Here are instructions to do so, by forum member Pjotr. (I assume that your windows and Linux are in UEFI mode, which is the default if the computer came with windows 8 ).

That said, make backups before any operation.
Timeshift is perfect for this, and is installed by default in Mint since LM 18.3 (or otherwise you can install it through the software manager). It can restore the whole system if needed.
linuxmint

Post by linuxmint »

@fabien85. Thank you for your answer! Eventually i gave the pc to a pc technician because the whole procedure seemed a bit difficult to me. He told me that he had to update to grub2 and format windows and now everything works fine. The procedure he followed looks like the one you describe so that may be the proper way to solve the problem if someone else has the same problem.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

at least you got it fixed up,
and now you know that method does indeed work.
8)

keep playing with your new LinuxMint System, and get more familiar with how it works.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Installation & Boot”