How to duplicate current setup onto new ssd?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shahdoost

How to duplicate current setup onto new ssd?

Post by shahdoost »

Hello fellas,

This is my first post on here, so I apologize if I do something wrong.

I currently have 64-bit Linux Mint installed with Cinnamon. I dual boot from my 250GB 850 evo with windows 10 and also have a 2TB HDD.
I recently decided that i'm going to try to move my windows to a vm within linux to avoid rebooting a bunch, I hear that dedicating a disk to the vm would help in performance, this combined with the fact that my 850 evo is running very low in storage has made me decide to get a 250GB 970 evo and to transfer my current linux setup on there. i'd rather maintain my current setup on my 850 evo until I confirm that everything is working perfectly on my 970 evo.

So I would like to go from 850 evo[windows+linux] --> 850 evo[windows+linux] and 970 evo[linux] --> 850 evo[windows vm] and 970 evo[linux]

I was thinking that I would just make a timeshare snapshot, store it on a USB flash drive, install fresh linux onto 970 evo, and restore the snapshot from the USB. However, when copying the snapshot onto my USB, I get the following error message,

Code: Select all

Error while copying "initrd.img".
There was an error copying the file into /media/sasha/MULTIBOOT/!DISK/2018-05-23_14-22-50/localhost.
Filesystem does not support symbolic links
Is there a better way to do this?
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: How to duplicate current setup onto new ssd?

Post by AZgl1800 »

not sure what you were thinking of using for the snapshot, but my experience with Aptik was very successful.

the thing with snapshots is that they depend on the same exact hardware setup to work right IIRC?

and with Aptik, that does not matter. I successfully cloned from an ASUS laptop to this Dell laptop I am using now with Aptik. I used a Flash Drive ISO to format the Dell to 18.3 Cinnamon, and then used the Aptik backup to overlay the new install on this Dell.

The result was good, this Dell looks and feels like the ASUS did, all the apps are the same, menus the same.

I did not have a VM installed at the time I made the Aptik backup. But, I have a LuckyBackup of the VM.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
cabbagetreemo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cabbagetreemo »

You could try making a live USB of Clonezilla (I recommend downloading the .iso and using UNetBootin to burn it to a flash drive, but others on the forum have not had good luck with UNetBootin as I have). Then connect the drive you want to clone and the drive you want to clone to on the same computer and boot off of the Clonezilla USB. The interface can look scary but if you take the time to read the prompts and think about what you are doing, everything should go smoothly. Then you would get an exact clone of your original drive, mint install, setting , files etc. on the new drive.

With Clonezilla you can clone drive->drive, partition->partition, partition-> drive and drive-> partition so you should be able to accomplish what you want to do. Just make sure the target is at least the same size (preferably bigger) as the source.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I found MultiBoot and MultiSystem easier to use making bootable Flash ISOs and Clonezilla
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
shahdoost

Post by shahdoost »

cabbagetreemo wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:55 pm You could try making a live USB of Clonezilla (I recommend downloading the .iso and using UNetBootin to burn it to a flash drive, but others on the forum have not had good luck with UNetBootin as I have). Then connect the drive you want to clone and the drive you want to clone to on the same computer and boot off of the Clonezilla USB. The interface can look scary but if you take the time to read the prompts and think about what you are doing, everything should go smoothly. Then you would get an exact clone of your original drive, mint install, setting , files etc. on the new drive.

With Clonezilla you can clone drive->drive, partition->partition, partition-> drive and drive-> partition so you should be able to accomplish what you want to do. Just make sure the target is at least the same size (preferably bigger) as the source.
Cool, I installed clonezilla to my usb through yumi and will try it out tomorrow.

Return to “Installation & Boot”