[SOLVED] Installed from corrupted/incomplete live CD, now cannot boot anything / "Kernel panic - not syncing"

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bievx

[SOLVED] Installed from corrupted/incomplete live CD, now cannot boot anything / "Kernel panic - not syncing"

Post by bievx »

Hello!

I am trying to install Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon from a live CD. Unfortunately, there was something wrong with my first DVD, and the installation aborted during "Configuring Network Time," saying that there was an error in the DVD. I burned a second DVD, which was used to successfully install the same system elsewhere. Unfortunately, now any attempt to boot from this correct DVD or its boot options menu (Boot from local drive, Start Linux Mint) results in a freeze; "Start in compatibility mode" is non-functional and freezes at Loading /casper/initrd.lz...

I can successfully boot from Boot-Rescue, however, but Uninstalling the Installation, repartitioning, nothing seems to work.

Currently, without the live cd, I get a long error scroll that ends in this:

5.0357491 Kernel Offset: 0x3bc00000 from 0xffffffff81000000 (relocation range: 0xffffffff80000000-0xfffffffbfffffff)
5.0358321 -- [end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(1,0)

The details have been generated the link/pastebin below:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/bnJrMS9GQD/

Any help much appreciated! :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Installed from corrupted/incomplete live CD, now cannot boot anything / "Kernel panic - not syncing"

Post by fabien85 »

Can you boot from USB on this computer ?
If so, thats the easiest route by far : burn a live USB. After you have your system set up, you can reformat the USB to reuse it.
bievx

Re: Installed from corrupted/incomplete live CD, now cannot boot anything / "Kernel panic - not syncing"

Post by bievx »

OHHH THAT WORKED!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH!!!

WOWWWWWW what a simple solution for what appeared to be a terrifyingly impossible situation!

Thanks again! <3 <3

:o :o :lol:

Return to “Installation & Boot”